advertisement

"Demanding" headphones/speakers

jirij

Virtual Member
What are these anyway? A lot of people say about some headphones (ie. Senn HD800) and speakers (ie. ATC SCM11) that they "need proper amplification to sound their best", but what exactly does that mean?

What makes transducers "demanding"? And what is proper amplification?

Some time ago, I measured 1Khz sin wave at maximum output of a "lowend" E-MU 0204 audio interface and matched it to its "line" out going through a dedicated amplifier (one of those battery-powered headphone amps, don't remember brand). Then I listened through both using AKG K702 headphones (as the E-MU 0204 maximum output was the right volume for it) and the dedicated amp had significantly "cleaner" and more pronounced bass.

So is improper amplification just not enough power at all (incl. low) frequencies? What exactly would "power" be? Not enough voltage swing? Not enough current?

I forgot to measure output impedances, which might have made some difference - the E-MU has 22ohm, the amp is unknown, but given the ~65ohm headphones, it could have had an effect (but I'd expect an opposite one - more underdamped low frequencies with E-MU, but there were virtually none).

What causes headphones to be "demanding" in the first place? High mechanical damping?

I'm more of a physicist than I am an electrical engineer or transducer designer, so if I'm missing something simple, do tell me. :)

Thanks.

Not a lot of people seem to know the answer to this one. It seems to me though, that the more expensive the speaker/headphone the more fussy it will be about amplification.

My Neat Momentums are a good example. They were designed, so it seems, for the heftier Naim amps to drive. Once you get to a healthy 80 watts and above they really sing, but not until. A "fat and bloaty" NAP250 suits their fast lean sound to a tee.

I imagine similar conundrums face the high end headphone user. A good dealer to advise on headphone driving would be Paul at Hifi Lounge. Funnily enough he just sold me my Black 250.

advertisement

Back