advertisement

Deltec / DPA

Deltec the bigger bit arrived here some days ago. This unit sound very, very good, much better than the little bit. I have used an old Philips cd-player and Sonos Connect to feed this unit with data signals.
Pic with the cover off later.

dpa_zpseq5kvv3j.jpg

Looks to me like Deltec's usual little surface-mount components and a couple of ICs all painted blue after assembly.
The blue is conformal coating, not blue paint. It is used in the military and aerospace industries to protect thick film resistors directly on the pcb.

The bigger bit perform really well. It just pump out the music in an engaging and solid way regardless of genre.

The little bit and the bigger bit
dpa_zps6l6nddoj.jpg

Inspired by this thread, and curious to see if I noticed any difference between digital sources, I bought a Little Bit. I think it's a mk 1 as it has no deltran output.

First real listen, disc 1 of Ornette Coleman's Beauty is a Rare Thing, streaming Qobuz through an Airport Express and comparing it to my Arcam Alpha 9.

The Bit seems to be better at picking up cymbals and the leading edge of the bass, soundstage seems a bit wider, instruments better defined.

Am I kidding myself? Seems surprising anyway: I think the Bit is older than the Arcam, and would have been half the price.

In any case for £50 I'm pleased. Will try it against the AE's own DAC next.

I've never head a Little Bit but I always liked the Philips Bitstream DAC upon which it was based. I assume it is some variation of the chipset used in the Rotel RCD965BX and that thing was a real giant killer IMO with a warm, friendly and rather analogue character. One of the few early CD players that was easy to integrate into a vinyl system. As such I'd expect the Little Bit to be rather good.

PS The Ornette Coleman box, essential though it is, is a tad on the bright/dry side of things to my ears.

Bah, only one channel with digital out from CDP to coax on the Bit. Wonder which is at fault.

Re Beauty, yes it is a bit bright, it was one of the things that convinced me that I didn't like digital. I've become so use to digital now that I don't mind it all, don't even reach for the tone control.

Just in case someone should find this via google as they research a potential purchase, feel I ought to mention that after about half an hour the old Arcam was sounding better than the DPA: a case of warm up perhaps (first time I've noticed this) or else the Bit was going off the boil...

In any case it's cutting out in one channel intermittently and will have to go back. Fun while it lasted, I'd like to hear more recent efforts from the company.

In any case it's cutting out in one channel intermittently and will have to go back. Fun while it lasted, I'd like to hear more recent efforts from the company.
Not really fair to judge DPA sound from a unit with a hardware fault

But it is true that I have crapped up this interesting thread: I'd be grateful if a moderator could remove my contribution.

The Deltec bigger bit is recapped - thanks to Tom at DPA SERVICE for all help when i got lost during the process.
I use Deltec bigger bit from cd drive and DPA little bit from Sonos Connect. Sound ok in vintage Naim system with SBL. But just one input in each dac means I could get use for one more.

dpad_zpsysr1sjtx.jpg

High performance and remarkably complex inside, esp at time of introduction?
Only difference is that Deltec doesn't generate quite so much smoke ;)

dp2-0864.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Unfortunately, that is not a Deltic, let alone a Deltec. This, however, is a Deltic:

The picture you posted was of English Electric's DP2 (Diesel Prototype 2) which used a body shell from the Deltic production line but was actually a standard 4 stroke single engine locomotive. The production version was the more conventional looking Class 50. Alas, DP2 didn't last long; it was the locomotive involved in the fatal accident at Thirsk in 1967. DP2 was never repaired and eventually scrapped.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirsk_rail_crash_(1967)

After browsing this forum I think the input reciever need a replacement on a faulty Little Bit converter. I have the part and think I'll manage to solder it back. But what is the easy and safe way to remove it from the board? I found this pic on the www:

11ay7no.jpg

I have a Pdm 1 MkII and a Little Bit. I have modded the Little Bit and use it often. Definitely the best digital sound I've had in my system.

Ah - those UA9637 input receivers seem to be very sensitive to common-mode currents; I blew a couple trying to use a LB with a cheap dvd player with internal SMPS as a stop-gap source when working away from home before I worked it out. Fortunately they are cheap - looks like this dac has been through a couple...

if you think the existing part is dead - use some small snips to cut the legs off the DIL body, then unsolder one by one. A de-solder pump (or desoldering braid) to remove the solder from the through-plated holes helps; then wipe the pcb with alcohol to remove the leftover flux. Your new part will drop straight in.

ETA:
+1 Arkless, the LB is a very enjoyable source.

Since the input to this dac is SPDIF via RCA phono, that obvs connects signal before ground... unthinkingly plug it in with the dac on, and...

Thanks Martin, I'll use that metod and report back.
Agreed Arkless, the DPA dacs are very enjoyable. I have some DPA dacs here and think the Bigger Bit and Enlightenment sounds fabolous. The only downside is that they have only one input.

advertisement

Back