advertisement

Deltec / DPA

PDM 1.3 uses a single Philips' SAA7350 ('DAC7') bitream DAC/decoder.
Look at the PSU caps and any botched decoupling caps for the source fo the sizzle first.

Thanks Martin, looking...

Some very suspicious soldering on the DAC chip with lots of flux residue and what appears to be an aftermarket tant bead. It might not have its original tda1547 chip.

Last edited:
Good morning

I am running out of inputs on my 50s pre - the only one available is the tape input which is a DIN socket.

I therefore need a DIN to RCA/Phono cable. Is this a standard configuration and does it need a locking DIN plug?

Many thanks

It will just be a standard cable and won’t need a locking plug, these Gotham ones are really good if you are shopping around (eBay).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It will just be a standard cable and won’t need a locking plug, these Gotham ones are really good if you are shopping around (eBay).

Thank you Tony

Not knowing anything about Naim wiring, is this a universal standard?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It is only the pre/power links that are an issue, e.g. Quad and Naim 4 pin DIN cables are different and you can cause damage mixing and matching there. Source connection via 5 pin DIN plugs is standard and dates right back to the ‘60s. The 5 pin plug can do a full tape send and return, so you can hook four RCA plugs to it, but the one I link to will be right for playback (i.e. your source component).

I’ve just swapped a theta DAC for a Bigger Bit in a system with Spendors. It’s quite a difference and I can see that the Deltec is more exciting, livelier, a more prominent treble, I’m not sure I like it, it’s a bit nervous sounding, like it’s had too much coffee. Maybe it’s me who’s had too much coffee! I’ll keep it for a few days to see how it goes. One positive thing I can say: it creates an impressive seamless image.

My reason for posting is that, on the Deltec pages, it says that the Bigger Bit is “Based on lessons learnt in design of the PDM2” and I wonder what that means exactly. I’ve always been a bit curious about the PDM2 - should I think that the Bigger Bit sounds at least as good?

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/DPA/deltec.html

Oh one extra thought. With the Deltec I’m hearing a slight sound when a source changes - from my own hard drive to Qobuz for example, like the sound of a stylus landing on the disc. Very quiet - not a problem. Any thoughts about what that could be. I don’t remember hearing it with the theta.

I’m listening to a Josquin mass, eight voices I think, no instruments. The image this DAC is making is really special - it’s an immediate positive difference from the Theta.

Could well need a recap I guess. It’s old and there’s a reasonable chance the previous owner left it on 24/7 given the switch is on the back. It also may wake up if it hasn’t been in regular use for a while. It certainly shouldn’t be making any noises that aren’t on the source material. @martin clark is pfm’s DPA reference so will know more, but I’d expect it to sound like a very nice well-sorted Philips bitstream DAC.

Could well need a recap I guess. It’s old and there’s a reasonable chance the previous owner left it on 24/7 given the switch is on the back. It also may wake up if it hasn’t been in regular use for a while. It certainly shouldn’t be making any noises that aren’t on the source material. @martin clark is pfm’s DPA reference so will know more, but I’d expect it to sound like a very nice well-sorted Philips bitstream DAC.

Yes I’m enjoying it so I may well get it sorted rather than pass it on. Thanks Tony.

@martin clark - let me know if you’re interested in servicing it, or if not, if you can recommend anyone else.

Oh another thing, everything seems louder than with the theta, it must be more sensitive. There you go, no need to buy a preamp now!

Possibly be a muting relay if it is coming from within the case?

Is that fixable? I’m really liking it now, maybe because it’s letting the amp drive the speakers more easily. Hmmmmm! And maybe it’s getting better because it’s warmer.

There’s just no way to make a system sing other than by trial and error! And I feel as though I’ve made a step in the right direction.

Just to firm regular Naim 5pun din interconnect works fine into DPA preamps as an input.

I’m away right now - will think about nouse ssue later.

Is that fixable? I’m really liking it now, maybe because it’s letting the amp drive the speakers more easily. Hmmmmm! And maybe it’s getting better because it’s warmer.

There’s just no way to make a system sing other than by trial and error! And I feel as though I’ve made a step in the right direction.

Can you post a pic of the board? Unscrew the 6 bolts on the bottom and slide the cover off. Very easy to re-cap. They take a week or so to fully come on song after long storage, at least that's what I found. My PDM1.3 does make a faint click/ tick through the speakers on startup.

The caps that you need are a pair of 35V Panasonic FM 1500uF from RS. They are the best items for the job. I know @eastone has an almost new pair that he has just pulled from his M2

If your board has an empty pair of holes for an additional cap then spend the money and add a Blackgate type F 25V 470uf. Check your board

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubycon-...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Last edited:
Thanks, I’d get someone to do it for me, I don’t have the confidence to do it myself.

Let me mention something else. It makes a good thump when I turn off the system (by a single switch which turns off the whole system at once from the mains plug.) And it makes a good loud thump when it gets turned on, and then another good loud thump when the Rasberry Pi streamer boots up. Much more noisy than my Theta was.

There is something a little odd about DPA grounding. I actually have to lift the mains earth on my PDM3 or it generates a loud earth loop buzz. It also often gives a pop when turned off (I think it depends on where one is in the 50Hz AC mains cycle as to whether one gets a pop or not, its pretty random. It’s grounded via the interconnect returns to mains earth anyway, though my system may be a bit odd as the Quad 303, which is earthed, commons signal return to mains earth/case earth. It’s at this point I kind of run out of electronic theory!

DPA are known for this sort of thing though. They made a series of mains filters called ‘The Power’ or something that were intended to isolate the DACs and preamps. Little black metal boxes with an IEC in and out. No idea what exactly was in them.

Thanks, I’d get someone to do it for me, I don’t have the confidence to do it myself.

Let me mention something else. It makes a good thump when I turn off the system (by a single switch which turns off the whole system at once from the mains plug.) And it makes a good loud thump when it gets turned on, and then another good loud thump when the Rasberry Pi streamer boots up. Much more noisy than my Theta was.

New caps time

advertisement

Back