advertisement

Delta 290

WobblyWilly

Hi all, I have an Arcam Delta 290 with fuzzy input selector so after many attempts to sort it I decided to turn it into a power amp with volume control. Taking the pre/pwr phono inputs out and attaching to the empty phono socket holes. then wiring from this to the vol pot and then onto the pre input. All wiring is in its place but!!... the right channel is very low in volume and the left channel doesn't come in till 12 o'clock on the dial at a bout the right volume. So there we have it all wired up turn the volume up and only right channel plays very low get to 12 'oclock and suddenly the left comes in at nr full throttle... any suggestions??

I think that the selector switches on a 290 where a common problem.Give Arcam a call as I think they have or had a fix.

I have just finished a mod job for the D-290. here are a few notes:

- The selector is a motorized type, means it does not put too much mechanical resistance against its rotating motor, which is a low-torque one. I have seen similar selectors in other UK made amps like Creek etc. The results are poor contact within the selector. The way around it is to spray it with the Caig type of contact cleaner (the oily one), rotate the selector back and force 10-20 times and then blow away the remains using air blower (much safer than air pressure).

- Main caps are not brilliant - I changed them for 15,000 uF Mundorf caps. When changing caps, note that the PCB is a double sided one, so make sure to leave enough solder on the component side where the caps fit in, otherwise you end up disconnecting the right channel from the power rail :)

- The amp output section has Zener diodes before the Mosfets. I originally thought these are regulators of sorts and was tempted to add parallel caps - big mistake!!! the zeners are used as limiters, sort of protecting the Mosfets, no need to add anything...

- The linestage is rubbish, its a simple op-amp buffer stage, using TL072. Better replace it with something better (I used a spare OPA2604) and improve its regulator (based on 317/337) - or replace it with TeddyRegs.
It is also necessary to replace the coupling caps for something better.

Given all this, the D290 will start shining ;)

Yair

I aint got to that stage yet, jus turning one into a pwr amp with passive vol single input. The problem lies with the vol, the right channel very quiet untill max then L channel comes in full on! I've heard this one yrs back I'm sure its a simple fix but I've been a long time out the scene n I can't remember the way rnd it HELP!! :)

Nothing like that just a soldering iron and a bottle o' courage lol. I think it could be simple R channel quiet, L channel doesnt come in till vol on max grrr....

Don't get me wrong - the D290 is really good - just a few bits that need some work, thats it.
Yair

I had one briefly, plus the matching power amp. Pretty blah, in stock form. Rather have an Audiolab 8000A or UK-built 8000S.

advertisement

Back