advertisement

Delonghi Magnifica Esam 3500

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
For the benefit of those who have this model I would just like to share that I fixed a blockage in the steam pipe. Incredibly awkward to do but not impossible if you're patient and have the time. I don't use the cappucino function (milk first then coffee). I make a short coffee them put the milk on top using the milk froth function (double press the cappucino button) which is my preference. Coffee solo function is fine but milk function had a problem.

The symptom was no frothy milk, hardly any steam and a constant message saying the grind was too fine.

The grind message was because pressure was bulding up internally due to the blocked pipe, not actually because of the grind being too fine but the latter would have the same effect internally.

Google had me look at the flash boiler which generates the steam but it was a pig to extract and check. Replacements can be had from Germany for £47 on ebay. Having extracted it, it was all fine, but the pipe leading from it to the front of the machine and the steam outlet was obviously blocked with hardened calc. No point pushing it further down the pipe so I drilled it out with a fine drill. Then I pushed some fine bell wire down the pipe from the other end to make sure. Copper wire is slightly too thick to push down because of the copper crimps at either end. Put everything back together and we're back in business, lovely frothy milk for my daily cappucino.

I have two spare screws as well so thats a bonus !!!!

I've got the same machine in our Edinburgh place but hopefully won't get any calcification issues as it tends not to be an issue with the water here.

Had mine about 5-6 years now, its never missed a beat. Since I started working from home in March 2020 its been in daily use. Great machine.

advertisement

Back