advertisement

Deep Purple

The song is one of my faves. My two fave versions are the Artie Shaw-Helen Forrest version from around 1939, and the early 60s version by Nino Tempo and April Stevens.

Big band class v pop trash. I like both.

Can't be bothered with the other Deep Purple.

Like the old Purps. Yes they've had some dodgy output, including their latest effort but I still play their better albums.
Like all these great era bands age is taking its toll, whether that be just the voice being shot or having lost life's battle entirely.
The industry seems to be short on replacements.

Isn't there some talk of Blackmore undertaking a one-off with Gillan, Glover, Paice and Airey? No doubt a pension booster move?

Saw Deeep Purple about 10 years ago, they were good, but really missed John Lord (actually he came on half way through the set and the change in sound was huge, for the better).
They also (then) needed a better lead guitarist (Steve Morse was not good, that night at least).

The best original albums IMO are Burn and Made in Japan. Tracks: Child in Time, Highway Star and Burn are simply awesome!

I'm in a minority of one who rates Come Taste the Band as their best.

Wow, that is quite surprising. I’m no huge Deep Purple fan, I’ve always been perfectly content with In Rock and Made In Japan, both of which I bought back as a teenager. In fact I could easy round that down to just MIJ (original, certainly not the remix). I remeber buying Come Taste The Band after MIJ and thinking it was just dreadful - I’ve not heard it since the late ‘70s though! Its got the wrong vocalist hasn’t it? Like Black Sabbath without Ozzy!

Obviously there's a contrarian element to linking CTTB, but I don't like Blackmore at all. Coverdale sings, Tommy Bolin plays funk guitar and Jon Lord adds in some great Hammond. It also features Glenn Hughes' career highlight Getting Tighter. Second fav is probably In Rock.

Make it 3 - though Fireball equals it. If I play DP these days it tends to be CTTB - Bolin is simply on fire on most of the tracks.

I was in the audience on 15 March 1976 at the Liverpool Empire when they played their last concert with Bolin and literally split up that night. Coverdale's singing was ferocious as I think that he sensed it was about to crash and was either giving his all or was in a foul mood and was trying to dominate the others?

In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made in Japan and that ‘In Concert’ album with the 69 and 72 BBC recordings and the purple cover are the core, and pretty amazing, LPs. Burn, Live in London, Who do We think we are and their self titled 3rd album make up their second tier. Powerhouse, the collection of Mk 2 outtakes, at a push. Machine head should be re-sequenced to put ‘When a blind man cries’ at the end of side 1.

Shades of Deep Purple is a good album, but sounds like a completely different band. The rest is second rate by comparison. If you want to hear Tommy Bolin, listen to Spectrum by Billy Cobham or Teaser.

I bought that album purely because I loved the cover. Haven't listened to it in decades. Time to give it another go.

Its a great album, probably their best, and still gets a spin here from time to time. Deep Purple 'borrowed' Bombay Calling and it turned into Child in Time, a much better title IMO but it was a nick. I think Its a Beautiful Day reciprocated and 'borrowed' a Deep Purple track for a later album.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back