advertisement

dedicated mains question

oceanobsession

pfm Member
This week im looking at fitting a dedicated consumer unit (eaton ad4) i will
be using 10mm spurs x4 and 32amp mcb's, all 4 spurs will go under the floorboards to where my system is, im thinking about fitting 32amp panel
mount socket x4 the blue type, i was going to fit them into a piece of i inch
ply say 20inch x 5inch pushed upto my skirting board but lying flat, there
would be four 1/2 inch holes spaced acordingly to allow the wiring to enter
the 32amp socket, i dont wont another fuse in the circuit only the one in the source and it allows me a
disconnection, then i would use 4 male 32amp plugs into thick flex into 4 wattgate iac connectors, can anyone see any problems.

I can't follow your text, but believe me, you're better off with a Memera c.u. and Memera RCBOs (not just MCBs). Also get a bigger c.u. than for your immediate needs. Oh, and they're radial circuits you're putting in, NOT spurs.

Does sound fantastic. Dedicated mains is the way to go. Just plugging into a spur rather than a ring main made a big difference for me.

Yes mike you are right they are radial circuits, the eaton consumer unit is a
memera ad4 as recomended by roy k riches, i have had the electric board fit
a 80 amp fuse and a isolation switch so i can fit it all from there i do have a
couple of rcbo's the field fit type mr30 maybe i will fit these, im more interested in peoples opinion of the 32 amp industrial type plugs they allow
you to fit a large flex and they have big strong brass connectors it seems like a no brainer to me , i would not pay the earth for expensive sockets made by the likes of furutech.

Interesting; that's the first I've heard of an isolating switch on the incoming mains. Surprised you had an 80 amp fuse fitted as a 100 amp one is the norm (and definitely for preference).

Good luck with the installation; you won't look back. B.t.w., not sure what plugs you are talking about, but Memera 32 amp RCBOs accept 10mm2 cable happily; I wouldn't have anything else.

Mike, the original fuse was a 60amp, i tried to get them to fit a 100amp, but
they would only fit a 80amp, they then fitted an isolater switch to the tails
from the meter, then from the isolater to the consumer unit. these are the
32amp sockets surface mount, ebay no 220918863994.

advertisement

Back