advertisement

Decent VDSL ISPs

Bottom of page put your landline phone number or postcode in, it’ll tell you what cabinet you route to, how far away in meters, what types of connection you can get and speed estimates.

https://www.aa.net.uk/

Thanks, the Virgin box is about 60mts away, here's the BT info below, I'm on VM 50meg at present, I was on 350MB but I got them to downgrade me due to Covid in order to reduce costs I'm now on £28 a month (broadband only) but was on £56 a month and that had gone up over about two years from £37 a month.

Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 2193 meters.

New SoHo::1 ADSL up to 10.8Mb/s
ADSL service with forecast download sync speed of 5.7-10.8Mb/s from £35+VAT/month for 300GB/month, including line rental

I usually move people off 1&1 aka IONOS to Microsoft 365 for email, sometimes leave their Domain Name Admin Fees, DNS and Website Hosting in situ with 1&1, it’s 365 aware and sets up pretty much automagically during the Microsoft onboarding for email. 365 email starts at £3/month but most go for the more expensive subs with Cloud Storage and Word/Excel/Outlook included.

If we do the website for them I move it to Zen for Hosting (starts around £55/Year) and DNSMadeEasy for DNS. Domain Admin Fees with 123-REG or Zen.

If they want to do the Website themselves and aren’t happy with 1&1 then WIX, WordPress (various hosting options) and SquareSpace seem popular. Alternatively a couple have bought Templates/Hosting from Allwebco and extensively customised things. I advise they have their Fees & DNS separate with guys like Zen, 123-REG and DNSMadeEasy. If they go with a Web Design Agency having things separated out prevents them getting help to ransom if things go pear shaped, no chance of passwords being changed or site content being blocked.

It’s a bit of a faff for a one off, I‘ve been doing this stuff for folk as a favour and then as a job for donkeys years.

If you have any specific queries or stuff you don’t want on a forum, PM me, happy to help out with advice.

Gus

Zen ordered. Thanks for all the advice.
MJS,
Do you have your transfer date yet? I'm thinking about moving from AA to Zen (need to save some cash) and was wondering how long it takes.

advertisement

Back