advertisement

Decent TV - 40-43inch for less than £500

Tigerjones

Bagpuss
Morning,

I am looking for a new TV and know nothing about them. Needs to be max 43inches and cost less than £500.

Any recommendations?

Cheers
Patrick

I’ve got an earlier version of this

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/lg-tvs/lg-43un81006lb.html

which I’m very happy with. Admittedly I don’t use (or even understand) the bells, whistles and apps - I just select a Freeview channel or my PVR. A bonus was that it didn’t cost me anything - my previous set from Richer Sounds failed 5.99 years into the six-year warranty and a new equivalent replacement was given without argument.

Richer Sounds should be your first port of call. Stick to the better brands Sony, Samsung, LG.
Just check that the TV has everything you need. You might want to think about a sound bar or putting the sound through your hi fi as these modern thin TVs have no room for a good full range speaker.
I am enjoying my Sony Bravia from Richer Sounds.

I’d stick to Sony or Panasonic. Good time of year to be buying a tv as the new models are imminent ( usually) at this time of year, so the current models are heavily discounted ready to make way. However, stock levels may be an issue this year.
The sound from all of them will be ropey, so if it’s for primary viewing you may want to add a soundbar etc at some point, unless you already have a system to put the tv sound through.

It's worth noting that Richer Sounds offer a free 6-year warranty.

Richer Sounds are very good. Also look at AO.com - the TV I wanted recently was sold out everywhere else but here and they managed a very cheerful delivery the next morning! - and took the old set away as well for £20.

We got a Samsung smart TV 40" for our daughter for Christmas for around $250 and after some initial delays with the smart software getting setup it seems very good to me with a great picture. I think it would be hard to spend £500 on a 40" TV and not get something very good.

Our 65” OLED LG has truly excellent sound.

May not be possible on 43” sets, but worth understanding before you go for a sound bar.

We bought a 43 inch Samsung just before Xmas 2019 for about £300 from Currys - decent picture and the interface is easy to use.
BEWARE - Samsung model groups are very confusing and sales staff usually inept. Found out a while later that for £25 more we could have one that paused Live TV ... don't use the feature very often but not having it is a bind. Their online handbook is generic to all models of the same group so very confusing to use :(
ALSO - Samsung TVs tend to be prone to restricted viewing angles. Viewing in store is essential...

Otherwise OK after more than a year of use.

BTW - re. sound bars.
The sound on the Samsung via inbuilt speakers is more than adequate for general TV viewing, including dramas, but mumbled dialogue can be a pain. (viz. Line of Duty)

Only worth considering any form of boosting if you want the 'cinematic' experience for film epics (Star Wars and the like)
I linked ours to a CA integrated and speakers via optical out - but we rarely use it (it doesn't solve the mumbled dialogue syndrome)

Make sure you get an extended warranty, whether included in the package or not.
Modern TVs are pretty reliable, but as I found out - if you do have a problem; it's often a new power board or some such and thats 3 figures right there.

To be honest, and speaking as someone who has had a lot of Samsung products, their online facilities are marginally better than a chocolate fireguard (possibly a wooden one at best)

In this instance I followed the link in the list to their Product Support page - keyed in my model number for 'more details of features' and was told that it was a '43inch HDR Smart 4K TV' .... and that was it. The text intimated that it was a link but clicking on it did nothing apart from removing the text - it was also impossible to copy said text by clicking on it with either left or right mouse button for the same reason :(

Pretty much par to the course with similar queries going back years.

advertisement

Back