advertisement

Decent Turntable for £100? Is this possible?

Spooky...i have a Russ Andrews modded 965BX in my shed...must dust it off for a listen with the Naim xs..

As promised here are some pics of what I managed to get...

The Rega..cartridge is a Rega R100, lacks some sparkle like the AT below but punchy enough.

IMG_20150117_140028_zpsa6b1d1a2.jpg

IMG_20150117_140124_zps6af9e8a2.jpg

IMG_20150117_140109_zpsa24ac3f2.jpg

The Project..cartridge looks to be an AT91 but sounds surprisingly sweet.

IMG_20150117_140810_zpsb4d868ef.jpg

IMG_20150117_140822_zpse6011878.jpg

IMG_20150117_140857_zps9fa6f25e.jpg

Very nice looking Planar 3.

The R100 cartridge always did lack sparkle although was quite fulsome sounding. Hasn't been in production for a long time though so is probably due for replacement.

Is the Planar 3 working fine? Didn't the seller say there was a bit of a problem with it?

I can't find anything wrong with the Planar 3 other than the belt is a bit slack. The lid was a bit scuffed and grubby but 30mins with a bottle of T-cut has cleaned things up nicely.

Her hubby will be getting the project as it sounds the sweeter of the two and she has seen pictures of it when i was seeking approval - to swap it over would be confusing :D

The planar 3 looks the part though i plan to have a play to see if a change of cartridge and new belt will bring sonic improvements. Given the price i felt i had to take of it if only to give it some TLC before passing it on to it's next new home...

Suitably set up i'd like to see how it compares with my 401. Ive got an ortofon quintet red that should help in that respect.

A cartridge and belt will bring huge improvements, stick a white belt and an ortofon 2M red on it and it'll sound superb! Better than the project without a doubt.

Sorry, for the thread resurrection, but I'm in much the same position as the OP and after reading through the thread was wondering if anyone is aware of any bargains that can be had at the moment?

I've trawled ebay and Gumtree but nothing anywhere near me, and I don't really have a clue what I'm looking for/at!

If someone could point me in the right direction, or if anyone has something on here they want to shift please let me know.

I'm only after a cheap set-up to run with my Cambridge AM1 and Wharfedale diamonds.

Thanks in advance folks.

Haven't read the thread but I picked up an AR "the turntable" with a Linn Basik arm about 5 years ago for £35 on ebay. The manticore Mantra is another good cheap TT and I also bought a pro-ject rpm 1.3 Genie a few years ago that was nice and cheap.

Plenty of well-priced Technics Linear trackers on ebay at the moment, plus some good non-SL 1200 models, too.

Get a vintage lenco 75 or 78, diy service the motor and bearings, properly allign the cartridge, set the correct antiskating and tracking force..plenty of detailed instructions outlined in lenco heaven..you'll be set for a really nice vinyl treat for about 100 quid;)

If you can find one, the Rotel RP 855 was, by far, the best budget deck I could find in the dying days of mass market vinyl.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Steve, could you send me a PM? How hard/expensive is it to source an arm etc. for a Rega 2?

I'm not after something that I need to do a lot of work on, as I don't have much skill or time and would probably end up just messing it up.

I know I'm asking a lot - apologies.

You'll need a Rega RB250 or RB 300 - price probably starts around the £100 mark plus cartridge on top.

I have just put my Rega P2 on a certain auction site. It has a new belt and hinges. Needs an arm. The plinth is currently cut for an SME arm.

advertisement

Back