advertisement

Decent Turntable for £100? Is this possible?

Daniel, i sold one for that amount on Gumtree so i think i know it can be done. But thanks for you wisdom.

that brings the average selling price down but not sufficiently to satisfy the o/p .

or perhaps he could just tell his mates wife , gary yeowell sold one for £100 on gumtrue , ignore the current market value and hold out for another bargain , i am sure there will be one for sale anyday now .

Isn't this just getting a bit silly talking average selling prices. If you only want to go by Ebay then rock on, but rest assured it can be done.

Beobloke that's interesting stuff. First I did not know you could search for completed listings - found that now, very useful.

Secondly there are many sub £100 products - so I guess the real question is what constitutes a bargain? What was good then and is still good now? Condition is always to be factored in of course but what would someone who knew how good these decks are be prepared to pay? Feel free to comment critique if my amateur glass's guide is way out...remember this is 'at what point do I stop bidding' rather than what they are selling for (which could be way over what they are worth)

For me I think a decent PL12D up to £50 is good unless really mint, then closer to £80?
Dual CS505-2 - good nick then £100? or did you mean £83 was overpriced?
Thorens TD150 - £100 also?
Which Garrards compare with this lot? 86SBM - any good?
Sansui SR 222 - very pretty so £120?
There's a micro seiki MB-14 for £100 - was is ever any good?

It has occurred to me that this thread is actually affecting the prices as we speak so, can we agree that none of them are worth more than £20 ?and you'd be a fool to bid any more...that should sort my problem out...

I rest my case.
Just did a quick search on Gumtree, 2 day old advert. Rega Planar 3 with arm for £100, working condition, looks great, in Eastleigh with pick up available.

I rest my case.
Just did a quick search on Gumtree, 2 day old advert. Rega Planar 3 with arm for £100, working condition, looks great, in Eastleigh with pick up available.

That's the one I pm'd the OP about earlier :D

Bit of a bargain IMO

Whereabouts in Hampshire? A mate of mine has a Pioneer PL12D unused in his cupboard that he would sell for peanuts. Needs a new cartridge. I am on the Hampshire/West Sussex border.

It does of course depend on your definition of decent and the assumption that the past is in indicator of the future . I would also say all of them would probably need a new cartridge .

You do however make a fair point .

However to say "its easy" is surely letting your victory smugness get the better of you .

it is possible if you dont mind ugly and plasticy . :p

I completely agree that a new cartridge would be a wise move for any of them, but with an AT-95E at around £30, that £100 is still easily achievable.

As to plasticky, yes, the Technics and the Pioneer are and ugliness is in the eye of the beholder but, true - none of them are exactly visual works of art!

However, the OP's criterion was a "decent" turntable; not stunning, world-beating or astounding. Having owned examples of every single deck I listed, I would say they all achieve this admirably.

Im in Bishops Waltham, near Wickham.

Work in Eastleigh so hoping the RP3 still around....that would be my first choice

If you can get the RP3 then its a no-brainer. If not, then the Pioneer is not going anywhere, so it will be available.

Beobloke that's interesting stuff. First I did not know you could search for completed listings - found that now, very useful.

Secondly there are many sub £100 products - so I guess the real question is what constitutes a bargain? What was good then and is still good now? Condition is always to be factored in of course but what would someone who knew how good these decks are be prepared to pay? Feel free to comment critique if my amateur glass's guide is way out...remember this is 'at what point do I stop bidding' rather than what they are selling for (which could be way over what they are worth)

For me I think a decent PL12D up to £50 is good unless really mint, then closer to £80?
Dual CS505-2 - good nick then £100? or did you mean £83 was overpriced?
Thorens TD150 - £100 also?
Which Garrards compare with this lot? 86SBM - any good?
Sansui SR 222 - very pretty so £120?
There's a micro seiki MB-14 for £100 - was is ever any good?

It has occurred to me that this thread is actually affecting the prices as we speak so, can we agree that none of them are worth more than £20 ?and you'd be a fool to bid any more...that should sort my problem out...

PL12D - I have to say I'm a fan. Others aren't so, although I'd say a really good one is worth £80, some may disagree.

CS505-2 - Yes, i think £83 is over-priced. The last 505 I bought was the CS505-3, which I believe to be the best variant, and this cost me £40 and was immaculate.

TD-150 - great deck, better than most that superseded it IMHO and well worth £100.

Garrard - I have long maintained that the 86SB Mk2 (not the Mk1) is something of a sleeper and a far better turntable than it is given credit for. That said, it is a fully automatic mechanical-based unit and the issues of Garrard's grease hardening and causing all sorts of problems are well documented. They're great performers but you need to know your way around one to get the best out of it.

Sansui SR-222 - it's a good deck but, frankly, I think the PL12D is better.

Micro Seiki MB-14 - never owned one (amazingly...;)) so can't comment.

can we agree that none of them are worth more than £20 ?

That is what I paid for my Connoisseur BD2, complete with its acrylic lid, in very tidy condition. It was after I got it home that I found out that the cartridge fitted to it is an Ortofon VMS20 EC MkII in good order. :D

I rest my case.

You have may have rested for case , but it is judgement for me .

It is not running at the correct speed !!? Are you really suggesting the o/p's mate .who is just getting in to vinyl , should take the risk on this . It may or may not be an easy fix .

Having said that , I appears to have a RB200 on it and I have seen those sell for more than £100 quid on thier own .

I also note with amusement that the others on gumtree are between 150 and 200

advertisement

Back