advertisement

Decent Turntable for £100? Is this possible?

Most people getting into vinyl nowadays don't seem to care about the quality of playback though.

Yes I agree but feel I need to do my best to enlighten the poor chap...

If something decent pops up somewhere I'd be chuffed, so would he, so would she....smiles all round.

I could tell her it cannot be done but I've realised too that each have their own priorities in life, plus these friends are not the most flush with cash at the moment so hence the extra effort needed!

I think they would both be grateful for any help and he would be too polite to critique his wife's choice of budget (who would eh?!)..Normally I tend to keep actual hifi expenditure suitably vague where possible for fear of retaliation via high street clothing and handbag retailers....

Of course it can be done, I and several others here have said exactly how. By the same token you can't get a working car for around £500, except that you can, if you know what you are doing. I'm on my 4th, and I inspected a very nice Honda Prelude for a mate 2 weeks ago, he's driving it now and says it's marvellous.

A Rega 2, a Thorens, a ProJect, a Japanese DD, all will give pretty damn good vinyl playback IF you get a good one. Yes, it isn't an LP12. But for £100 you buy a record player and not a badge to show off to your friends.

Of course it can be done, I and several others here have said exactly how. By the same token you can't get a working car for around £500, except that you can, if you know what you are doing. I'm on my 4th, and I inspected a very nice Honda Prelude for a mate 2 weeks ago, he's driving it now and says it's marvellous.

A Rega 2, a Thorens, a ProJect, a Japanese DD, all will give pretty damn good vinyl playback IF you get a good one. Yes, it isn't an LP12. But for £100 you buy a record player and not a badge to show off to your friends.

it can not . Turntable arm cartridge for £100 , Nah .

Find one on ebay now if it can .

Original Planar 2. Sold one myself a couple of years back for exactly that amount and it even had a cheap Audio Tecnica cartridge on it which from memory only need £20ish for a replacement stylus.

I've done it many times. Local papers, Gumtree, even Ebay. Got a Rega 3 with iirc a Bias on it, all there and bright green for I think £125 here in Leeds. Played with it, sold it to a mate for a small profit. But no, you are right, it can't be done. You keep shopping in dealers, leave the pointless trawling through local ads to me.

Edit - just looked on Fleabay, a working TD150 with a AT 110 and a spare Goldring cart, all working, no lid, went through in Carlisle for £103. That took me about 5 minutes to find, so you can't be looking very hard.

I rang about the Technics and its gone....sorry

I have a part time voluntary job as a function tester for a local charity shop which majors in electricals....so I can get my hands on the Hi Fi of course.
I know there is a Grundig Belt drive deck there with arm and no cartridge for about £30...I could get that if its still about....

There are 2 rega planar 2 on ebay at the moment under £100 . both have many bids on them and several days left . If the price of all other ones on ebay is a marker , they will sell for between 150 and 200.

you may get lucky without having to be up all nite . I very much doubt it .

You may be doing this already, but to save time on eBay you can put your postcode in and select the "nearest first" listing from the dropdown menu when you search. I find this particularly useful for all the "collection only" items. I wouldn't just restrict it to record players/turntable category, since it's surprising how some people categorise things. :rolleyes:

I rang about the Technics and its gone....sorry

I have a part time voluntary job as a function tester for a local charity shop which majors in electricals....so I can get my hands on the Hi Fi of course.
I know there is a Grundig Belt drive deck there with arm and no cartridge for about £30...I could get that if its still about....

Mike, the effort much appreciated. Grundig does not sound inspiring though (apologies!) or am I wrong?

There are a few items that I have have my beady eyes on - just missed a Sansui for £118 (+ postage) so things are quite close.

I will keep everyone updated with progress...

Moppit - have just pm'd you a link to an interesting deck for sale. Don't know if it's still available though.

There are 2 rega planar 2 on ebay at the moment under £100 . both have many bids on them and several days left . If the price of all other ones on ebay is a marker , they will sell for between 150 and 200.

you may get lucky without having to be up all nite . I very much doubt it .

It's no good looking at current auctiuons and then guessing how much they might sell for. If you look at the sold items in the Turntables category, it doesn't take too long to find the following successful sales:

Pioneer PL12D - £63
Dual CS505-2 - £83 (How much?!!)
Pioneer PL120 - £50
Technics SL-B202 - £55
Garrard 86SBMkII - £26 (massive bargain alert!)
Thorens TD-150 - £102
Technics SL-D210 - £65

And that's just on the first three pages.

So- decent turntable possible for under £100? Yes, not only possible, but easy.

It's no good looking at current auctiuons and then guessing how much they might sell for. If you look at the sold items in the Turntables category, it doesn't take too long to find the following successful sales:

Pioneer PL12D - £63
Dual CS505-2 - £83 (How much?!!)
Pioneer PL120 - £50
Technics SL-B202 - £55
Garrard 86SBMkII - £26 (massive bargain alert!)
Thorens TD-150 - £102
Technics SL-D210 - £65

And that's just on the first three pages.

So- decent turntable possible for under £100? Yes, not only possible, but easy.

It does of course depend on your definition of decent and the assumption that the past is in indicator of the future . I would also say all of them would probably need a new cartridge .

You do however make a fair point .

However to say "its easy" is surely letting your victory smugness get the better of you .

it is possible if you dont mind ugly and plasticy . :p

FFS Daniel, how about for once in your life having the grace to say "that's interesting, maybe I need to revise my view in the face of new information"? Is it so bloody hard?

FWIW a Thorens 150 is commonly available, often with a working cart, is decent according to any sane definition of the term, and is neither ugly nor plastic. It certainly isn't plastic. I have owned a couple.

However if you want to carry on being right, then go ahead. The rest of us will go on picking up nice old hifi for loose change when we fancy it, and we'll happily carry on being wrong.

A Planar 2 is neither plastic or ugly, and sounds pretty bloody good. It can be improved with new belts, or motor should one so desire. A decent cartridge can be had for £25 and you are good to go. Don't know why people say it can't be done, it can be and does get done regularly.

A Planar 2 is neither plastic or ugly, and sounds pretty bloody good. It can be improved with new belts, or motor should one so desire. A decent cartridge can be had for £25 and you are good to go. Don't know why people say it can't be done, it can be and does get done regularly.

leaving aside the issue that I didnt say it was .

As I have proven you cannot get one for £100 .

In the past 15 days , approx 30 have sold on ebay with an average price of £170 if cartridge and arm included . The lowest price was £132 and the highest £270.

And ta micheal J , what a thriller of a post that was .

advertisement

Back