advertisement

Decent portable radio for the bathroom?

Jim Audiomisc

pfm Member
Needs to pick up FM and DAB/DAB+ (for World Service, etc.)
Needs to give at least half-decent sound and have some form of tone controls.
Needs to work off batteries, i.e. rechargables and/or have a dc input for power. (Inistead of a wall-wart I'd add rechargable via that socket from an external pack.)
NOT bluetooth. (Or at least you can, indeed, block that off from working.)

I'm not expecting 'real Hi-Fi' but just something that gives clear natural speech (R4, WS, etc) and can make a decent stab at background listening for R3 FM at times.

I've looked at a few possibles, but they all fail one or other of the above, or don't give the info to tell. So... ?

Ruark R1

has, DAB / DAB+ / FM, optional battery pack, USB C input as well as DC input, tone controls and sounds pretty good being Ruark.:

Edit… unsure of Bluetooth as the R1 is at the mother in laws

Get a waterproof or water resistant speaker. I’d suggest a UE Boom or possibly a Sonos Roam.

I’ve a Pure DAB radio in the bedroom and I just think they are a bit pointless nowadays with internet radio.

Sonos Roam. Can be used as a secondary speaker for dining room etc & then ported to bathroom when needed. Access to Spotify, BBC Sounds etc, use it in the garden, very versatile.

Yes, the Ruark R1 MK4 does bluetooth for streaming & has adjustable eq. Comes in a couple of colours. Might be lucky if the colour suits you to get a summer edition beach hut blue.
The external rechargeable battery fits onto the back of the set but is far from cheap around £70. It is charged from the supplied power pack unit. I own one of these, I too bought it for use in the bathroom as it doubles up as a clock. I don't think the sound is fantastic, it has a down facing bass port. Careful positioning & the sound is not bad. Quite a full low end type sound. Not to worried about it not sounding fab as only being used for a short time on some days/mornings.

I have a Sony XDR-V20D that I use in the bathroom. Not to expensive and very happy with the sound. Isn’t heavy but the sound is rather good at this price point.

Ruark R1

has, DAB / DAB+ / FM, optional battery pack, USB C input as well as DC input, tone controls and sounds pretty good being Ruark.:

Edit… unsure of Bluetooth as the R1 is at the mother in laws

OK. The Bluetooth is OK if I can ensure it is off or has no effect. I'll see if I can find a manual on the net.

Rechargeable or has a dc input I can use to power from an external rechargable pack? (I do that with one existing radio. Means I can buy what batteries I like, not tied to a proprietary one that can become 'obsolete' or a PITA.

One snag is finding out details like these from maker's websites.
You can fit a rechargeable power pack or run it off C cells.

Dude - you are stuck in the 70’s!!

Agree re voice command on the Roam. It sounds pretty decent, not as good as our old Soundlink Mini but that thing is magical given its size.

You obviously haven’t heard an R707.
Bass & treble controls.
Decent size Elac elliptical speaker.
Real wood cabinet.
Not your modern Chinese rubbish !

why the need for tone controls? unless it is a big radio. dont see the point if mainly for voice. If you drop that requirement then the Sony xdr-s41d is a decent dab+/fm radio and modest price. decent sound I use it mainly for voice. Takes 4xAA cells and has a mains option you get the psu. the mains option does not charge the batterys

advertisement

Back