advertisement

Debussy

Does it sound OK, Cheese? I don’t enjoy a lot of my Richter, finding myself distracted by the crap SQ.
Apparently they are from early 60s, but it's still among the better sounding Richter. Fully satisfying in my ears at least.

Richter is one of the greatest pianists ever to see the earth, but if there is one thing he never did, is to play 'beautiful music' - Rubinstein, Horowitz or Gilels were better at that. But when one of his interpretation has 'got you', you are contaminated and will carry it with you for the rest of your life, the music appearing sporadically in your mind.

I have written this ten times here, start with the Chopin Préludes (excerpts) live in Tokyo around 1977 or so, they have appeared on RCA and Melodiya too. If you don't like this, you are not made for Richter.

Thanks, Cheese. I'll definitely try that disc.

A quick google finds that music now out on Regis. Thanks again.

I have taken the plunge and on the advice given by contributors to this thread bought the boxed set by Noriko Ogawa and so far I am enjoying what I am hearing. It takes me several listens before I begin to get a sense of what the music is about and what I am listening to but first impressions are good.

advertisement

Back