advertisement

Debussy

I love this opera and read the reviews of this production with interest...it's a shame when these directors get hold of something and can't see the concept through. Like you say, some illuminating points alongside rather crude touches. I saw one from Glyndebourne some years ago with John Tomlinson, another hopelessly mis-thought job !
I prefer semi-stagings these days for that reason, like the recent Rattle Pelleas with his missus and Christian Gerhaher, which worked quite well. It's a perfect Gramophone opera in many ways (like Bartok's Bluebeard) as much of it is psychological, but I really do enjoy watching the DVD of the Boulez / Peter Stein WNO production from the 80s. To me, this is the most successful realisation I've seen, with an excellent cast and superb conducting.

I’ve just pruned the Debussy strand out of the Bargain Classical Box Sets thread as it makes sense given the amount of discussion.

The Noriko Ogawa piano set on BIS turned up earlier. I’m a good few tracks into disc one and it is beautiful. Exactly as my mental image of Debussy solo piano and I recognise a surprising amount given I’ve not played much of the set yet. Wonderful stuff, it has a kind of transcendental stillness and ambience that is unique to my mind aside from maybe Satie (who I also need to explore more thoroughly).

Thanks for the heads up on this, have just ordered it, a very good price as well, NZ$54.52 including shipping.

Mr ED

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yep, thanks for the heads up. Not something I'd have probably checked out had it not been for the thread, but I had a listen to the Ogawa set on Spotify, and have now ordered the box set.

It's great stuff to play while working on writing my thesis.

This CD will be dropping through my letterbox later today

• 51cMg2x2yrL.jpg

Followed by this on Monday all being well.
  • 8170I3GaaKL._SX679_PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

kampa Quartet (Artist), Antonín Dvoák (Composer), None (Conductor)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There was a film version of Swann's Way about 30 years ago, Jeremy Irons was swanning around making a fool of himself, and the music was by Hans-Werner Henze. It was pure purgatory.

I must see it. Sounds like Dante would have assigned a circle of hell to it, had he been around to experience it. I made the mistake and watched Visconti’s Death in Venice recently. It was like watching paint dry, edited like a super 8 family movie from the 60s. An hour in and you were praying for death to release you.

I saw this Pelléas et Mélisande at the Bastille a couple of years ago. It was like being on drugs- a very dislocating, dreamlike experience.

+1 for Moravec. Also, for something different, Paul Jacobs recorded both books of Preludes. I think they are special.

Tony
I’m a Debussy piano nut and the best full set for performance, sound and value by far (in my collection) is Gordon Fergus-Thompson. He recorded it all around thirty years ago and it’s had (at least) three releases. I have the ASV discs separately then bought a Brilliant box set of five discs about 10 years ago - on a whim, really to see if it was the same recording and it is. It’s out again but crammed onto four discs rather than five but very cheap:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000001HM8/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The very best piano sound would be Noriko Ogawa on BIS. That said, I also have sets by Thibaudet, Trpceski and an old set by Pascal Rogé. It’s difficult not to enjoy this music unless the sound’s atrocious.
Only just seen this thread, so I've ordered this. Thanks. The Ogawa is a bit more pricey!

Tony
I’m a Debussy piano nut and the best full set for performance, sound and value by far (in my collection) is Gordon Fergus-Thompson. He recorded it all around thirty years ago and it’s had (at least) three releases. I have the ASV discs separately then bought a Brilliant box set of five discs about 10 years ago - on a whim, really to see if it was the same recording and it is. It’s out again but crammed onto four discs rather than five but very cheap:
Just received this, and I'm working my way through it. 2 discs so far.

Tony
At just over £6 delivered you'd be mad not to. Thank you.

Glad you enjoyed it, folks. Coincidentally I spent the whole morning here in SW France listening to the CDs (it’s cool and showery here).

Glad you enjoyed it, folks. Coincidentally I spent the whole morning here in SW France listening to the CDs (it’s cool and showery here).
...and following your earlier posts in the thread I’ve just bought a used 5-disc version for £6!

I have the two Phillips twofers of Debussy's piano music played by Werner Haas. They seem so "right" to me that I've never felt the need for any other recordings... though I have tried, and rejected, a few. The supposedly definitive Gieseking was a big disappointment - he is positively offhand. I know that styles mutate over the decades, but why anybody ever thought that his way of playing this music was especially insightful just baffles me.

The Haas CDs were sold in large numbers, so should be easy to find secondhand; Qobuz, oddly, seems to have only the first set, but that does contain both books of Preludes and a marvellous performance of my favourite of all Debussy's piano works, Pour le Piano.

A worthwhile supplement is the Casadesus recording of the piano duet music. En Blanc et Noir is wonderfully involving. Cecile Ousset's L'Isle joyeuse also seems rather special to me... these could all be instances of "first heard syndrome", I suppose, but they have tenaciously resisted all attempts to supplant them.

As an alternate question if I just wanted to get the piano works what would be a good option there? I’m pretty sure the piano stuff is my favourite Debussy, though I have the string quartet in G (Quartetto Italiano) and like that a lot.
I very much like everything on this disc, especially the Debussy pieces. Richter makes Debussy sound deeply 'haunted' or gloomy, pretty much like his own pianistic personality was.

Does it sound OK, Cheese? I don’t enjoy a lot of my Richter, finding myself distracted by the crap SQ.

I have actually got that album in this box, I’ll dig it out for a play!

advertisement

Back