1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Debussy question

Discussion in 'classical' started by neil, Aug 8, 2012.

1. neil

neil Wish I could re member

Can anyone recommend a really good recording (preferably vinyl) of Debussy's Suite Bergamasque? I'm after the Clair de lune piece.

2. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Go on spotify and listen to a bunch. It's a piece that's so over-played that there are millions of interpretations. Some are clean and simple ranging to gushingly romantic.

Whatever version you go for, do listen to the rest of the suite. All great music and the last, Passepied is one of my favourites.

Cheers,

Nic.

3. neil

Nic, I've no means of listening to it other than through the laptop speaker which I'd say is unlikely to show any piece of music off at its best.

Thanks anyway

4. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

My Penguin Stereo Record guide recommends the Ansermet recording - Decca SPA 231. It's an anthology of some of Debussy's most popular works ..

5. lennyw

lennyw Still throwing Eephus pitches

For Debussy I'd check out the following pianists: Gieseking, Michelangeli (not sure he did CdL), Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Pascal Roge, Zoltan Kocsis. Not sure how many of those were released on LP though (Gieseking certainly).
    As Ansermet was a conductor, I fear this might be an orchestral transcription.

6. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

sorry guys - didn't put my brain in gear before posting!

Try HMV HQS 1262 with Daniel Adni - they call it "an outstanding collection in every way".

7. neil

Cheers folks

8. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Jean-Efflam Bavouzet's version on Chandos is absolutely superb, best I've heard. CD not LP but the recording/sound quality is excellent.

9. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Disagree. You could pop a pair of headphones in and get perfectly acceptable sound for making comparisons between recordings. TBH if you're after vinyl your choices are more limited but some of the recommendations above seem sensible. Oddly I don't own a copy of the Bergamasque - but then I can play it myself ;)

10. neil

Now you are just inciting my envy. I really wish I could play a musical instrument

11. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Any luck with this so far, Neil?

12. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

Tomita.

Nic, put that axe down!

13. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

OK Mike...as you're expecting it:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Actually I got introduced to Reverie with his version and thought it was lovely. So there. ;)

Let me know when you're changing that Beemer. x

14. neil

Playing an instrument ? No :D

Got some good leads as to what to look for though! Already been doing some searching online and will be taking a look around the local shops.

15. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

It will go when it falls apart. I can't afford a new one, unfortunately.

16. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I'll keep a lookout for vinyl versions too.

17. neil

Thanks to all those for advice. Found a copy of the Adni version on eBay and bought it today. Just got to wait for it to turn up now!

18. billo

billo pfm Member

Happy birthday,Debussy 150 today! I'm sure Radio 3 will have some tribute