advertisement

Dealers that go the extra mile...

Moppit

pfm Member
with time on my hands and more importantly extra hiking funding through lack of holidays, meals out etc. During lockdown I've been demoing kit with a view to spending serious dosh..

I have to say some dealers have adapted their strategy to meet customers expectations and wanted to give a shout out. Clearly with difficult times they have had to change. Most of their stores are not able to offer showroom demos.

Personally when spending £2-3k on an amp or other component I would expect to be able to hear it at home in my own system with my speakers. However it seems some dealers out there, insist on 'restocking fees' or very high return delivery costs. I was quoted £100 from one online audio dealer even though their website clearly states free home trials. Perhaps trading standards might expect them to observe the 14 day returns policy for online/mail order?

Elite audio in Scotland do not do this, also offer a 30 day no quibble FREE trial and return. Keith at Purite Audio does a similar service

Well done to you both! You deserve our recognition and support.

Anyone else had similarily good service? What can we reasonably expect?

My local Sevenoaks Sound and Vision in Tunbridge Wells.

I've bought a CD player and various Interconnects over the years.

One year, I turned up with a question; how to properly set up my first proper Turntable.

A Stylus Alignment Gauge was printed out and I bought my TT in to be Aligned!

As a (then) new starter, thss meant a great deal!

A thread for Dealers that are a cut above would be an idea for a sticky in Trade Sales or somewhere, like the Good Guys in Classifieds

@Purité Audio – Keith - SONCOZ arrived quickly and no up front payment asked for, great bit of kit for the money

@Kantata Audio – John - Used Mains Block – located in Co Antrim posted end of day arrived in NE Scotland by lunch following day – so consider me impressed – unit is like brand new

Premium Sound offered me a home demo, but with 90% of the cost of the item as deposit. They did however agree to let me keep it at the 10% discounted price or return it with free collection from my house. I took them up on the offer of the discount and kept it saving me £250 on the RRP, superb service and well chuffed

paul benge from hi fi guy in hastings most certainly goes the extra mile . some years back my amp needed a repair and he drove up to get it . thats just a tad under 200 miles each way !!!

Also Tony from coherant has driven many miles in the past to help

Robert Ritchie in Montrose was very good, though it’s been many years since I last visited.

I would mention Lee from Strictly Stereo. Very nice chap, and very patient. Very good support in my change from Naim to a new system. Sure, he made out of it, but very helpful and supportive.

Also Cymbiosis, apart from one small glitch re postage. Peter has always supported the LP12 service for me when I’ve needed it, and again been very fair in the process.

I would mention Lee from Strictly Stereo. Very nice chap, and very patient. Very good support in my change from Naim to a new system. Sure, he made out of it, but very helpful and supportive.

Also Cymbiosis, apart from one small glitch re postage. Peter has always supported the LP12 service for me when I’ve needed it, and again been very fair in the process.
I would add a vote for Lee @Strictly Stereo who sent me some speakers for a home demo, and also for @Alan Brown and Keith @Purité Audio who both sent me amps to try. Excellent service from them all.
Great thread too.

Gary and his staff at Audio Emotion very good service on all aspects and possibly the most generous trade in deals around.
They've been very good to me too. Since one of their staff lives nearby to me I've frequently been loaned various things to try :)

Add another vote of appreciation to Gary and Audio Emotion...and not forgetting Marion who is always friendly and helpful!

Another +1 for Audio Emotion, Gary, Marion and Gordon are really helpful and they have some great deals on pre owned gear.

Also maybe one of the best websites at the moment, clear and easy to find your way around.

Before Covid-19 a visit to the shop was good with a warm welcome, cup of tea or coffee and if you were getting a demo they never rushed you.

PMC have been pretty amazing, personal delivery by the sales team and last time an amp failed they picked it up and returned within a week fixed under guarantee.

Deco Audio always been good to deal with. No pressure in store demonstration and extended home loans of demonstration equipment

Jack at the Audiobarn is a good guy. Got some Goldenear speakers in for me to try and brought them to my house. I ended up not buying them as they dominated the room too much. I owe him some more custom. Next time ...

Last edited:
Martin at Audiostore Ltd who turned around my Vortexbox upgrade in a day, so I wouldn't be without music (alright, I'd have still had all the vinyl to play, but....).
Really helpful guy generally.

Respect due, to the team at Doug Brady, Warrington.

Not once, during the past 25 years, have they ever tried to 'sell' me anything.

They have, however, been patient with me and always been there to offer advice when buying.

advertisement

Back