advertisement

'Deadwing' remastered by Steven Wilson

Just listening to this for the second time on the trot.
Wow. Superb. Just wow.
Have you got an original vinyl copy to compare? Might be forced to buy this...

I noticed in the green place that a couple of people reported that Deadwing doesn't sound too good. Well, I played my clear copy a couple of times yesterday and couldn't disagree more - sounds fab to me.

Have you got an original vinyl copy to compare? Might be forced to buy this...

I noticed in the green place that a couple of people reported that Deadwing doesn't sound too good. Well, I played my clear copy a couple of times yesterday and couldn't disagree more - sounds fab to me.
No, to be honest, I’m fairly new to SW & PT. I’ve got Absentia on cd ripped to my Mac & also via Tidal but not original vinyl, so no direct comparison. However, all I can say is it sounds excellent. Bass, drums, guitars, vocals, little background atmospheric noises all so nice. Quiet pressing & quality packaging. Ok so my one criticism is the inner sleeves which aren’t poly-lined/ anti-static. Someone mentioned about not rating the dead wing re-release, & again I’ve only got the digital versions as a comparison but my vinyl copy is again excellent.

Got my black vinyl "In Absentia" yesterday. Listened to the first disc, sound quality very good indeed. Didn't have time for more since it took me so long to overcome the static and remove the disc safely from the cardboard inner sleeve! Steeling myself for the next one - Grrrrr!

Has anyone any idea why on the SW remastered version of In Absentia on vinyl, the track Chloroform is missing? Its on the original vinyl version. I don't think it was on the standard CD version, but was included on the 2 CD European issue.
Can't help thinking that anyone who has the original vinyl may feel a bit cheated by the re-release having a track chopped off it!

Definitely not.

Even though that linked download includes, in the description:

“In a groundbreaking deal, Porcupine Tree have secured the rights to release uncompressed versions of their back catalogue. Further titles will be added over the coming months.“

??

Even though that linked download includes, in the description:

“In a groundbreaking deal, Porcupine Tree have secured the rights to release uncompressed versions of their back catalogue. Further titles will be added over the coming months.“

??
If you do a search for Porcupine Tree on that link it comes up with 90 items.
Sort those 90 items by 'newer - older' and the item in question appears at number 68 on the list.
I wish (like you) that it were the new remastered version but it clearly isn't.

Went to see him last night at a small venue, seats around 1,000. Had nice seats up in the balcony but the PA was way too loud IMO. I don’t know why they do that, but I had to leave after his first set. I was getting 117 decibels on my phone app. I had ear protection and it didn’t really help. I was getting pounded with the bass. I can’t imagine what the dB level was for the folks sitting stage right in front of the stack of speakers. I’ll be enjoying his LP’s and videos in the future. I’m done seeing him live. :eek:

UFEZgJ8.jpg

Went to see him last night at a small venue, seats around 1,000. Had nice seats up in the balcony but the PA was way too loud IMO. I don’t know why they do that, but I had to leave after his first set. I was getting 117 decibels on my phone app. I had ear protection and it didn’t really help. I was getting pounded with the bass. I can’t imagine what the dB level was for the folks sitting stage right in front of the stack of speakers. I’ll be enjoying his LP’s and videos in the future. I’m done seeing him live. :eek:

UFEZgJ8.jpg
Strange, when we saw him in Glasgow I checked as I'd read reports of excessive volume and we were getting around 80db most of the time (front circle).

Symphony Hall in Birmingham - he was undeniably in rock band loud mode. Certainly the highest volume I have heard at this venue. Very clean, so surprisingly tolerable, just.

Concerts over the last few years in general have been more reasonable on volume. Mind you MUSE at Coventry a while back was stupidly, stupidly deafening.

Strange, when we saw him in Glasgow I checked as I'd read reports of excessive volume and we were getting around 80db most of the time (front circle).

80 decibels would have been very enjoyable. I was getting 110 decibels for the opening act which was just singer with an acoustic guitar with an electric guitar accompanying him. Stupid loud. I feel sorry for the workers and the folks who stayed. They clearly must have damaged their hearing.

Has anyone any idea why on the SW remastered version of In Absentia on vinyl, the track Chloroform is missing? Its on the original vinyl version. I don't think it was on the standard CD version, but was included on the 2 CD European issue.
Can't help thinking that anyone who has the original vinyl may feel a bit cheated by the re-release having a track chopped off it!

As far as I know, Chloroform wasn't on the original vinyl pressing but was added to the later reissue on Tone Float (I have it). The new issue seeks to replicate the original vinyl in terms of its track listing.

Nice to hear the remasters are pleasing, the originals really are a sad state of affairs on a good system.

@John, I saw him earlier on the tour and having seen him many times without complaints I was very disappointed with the loudness. Way over the top. Unfortunately I developed a bit of a double sided ear infection at the same time following a flushing of my ears, so I can't say what the cause is with confidence, but this concert marks the beginning of my first period of tinnitus in my life. Not a bad case, but I really hope it will go away. In the future I will leave venues that make my ears hurt, it's not worth it.

Nice to hear the remasters are pleasing, the originals really are a sad state of affairs on a good system.

@John, I saw him earlier on the tour and having seen him many times without complaints I was very disappointed with the loudness. Way over the top. Unfortunately I developed a bit of a double sided ear infection at the same time following a flushing of my ears, so I can't say what the cause is with confidence, but this concert marks the beginning of my first period of tinnitus in my life. Not a bad case, but I really hope it will go away. In the future I will leave venues that make my ears hurt, it's not worth it.
Might be worth trying earplugs like these...

Alpine MusicSafe Pro Filter Ear Plugs for Musicians - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VO8PR0/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Never tried them myself but someone in here might have and can perhaps advise a bit better than me.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Might be worth trying earplugs like these...

Well, in my late teens I tried a few options and settled for a couple of molded thingies that were just right to tame discomfort but still hear everything at arms length from a drum set with a tube half stack Marshall at my back. Rehearsing hard rock, in a concrete bunker. These plugs were painfully insufficient at this concert. Granted they leak ever so slightly from getting old, but still...

John above mentioned the same thing, having protection but still leaving. I wish I had done the same.

advertisement

Back