advertisement

'Deadwing' remastered by Steven Wilson

leroyd

pfm Member
Had this delivered to my home yesterday and popped it on the TT for a listen. Mr. Wilson has done a stellar job. This remastered version rocks. A lovely smooth but ballsy low end. Gavin Harrison's drum sound is gut punching and the guitar sound is tonal nirvana. Great dynamics and wide soundstage. Overall a great sounding piece of vinyl. It makes the original CD sound like a bag of spanners. Well done Mr. Wilson, but please bring back Porcupine Tree. A great band and sorely missed

Was it the clear vinyl you got? Mine arrived yesterday so I'll have a listen over the weekend but good to hear it looks like an improvement. Still waiting on the remastered In Absentia to turn up, it must be due pretty soon - seems like months and months ago I preordered it.

I also had the clear vinyl arrive yesterday. Also ordered the white vinyl in absentia to look forward to. March 9th is the release date, I think?
Only recently started listening to PT after really enjoying Steve Wilson’s latest solo album & his work with XTC.
I agree that the drums & dynamics on Deadwing sound blooming impressive.

Was it the clear vinyl you got? Mine arrived yesterday so I'll have a listen over the weekend but good to hear it looks like an improvement. Still waiting on the remastered In Absentia to turn up, it must be due pretty soon - seems like months and months ago I preordered it.
Yep the clear vinyl. Deadwing is in my top 5 albums of all time. Absentia not far behind. Porcupine Tree were sensational live. Going to see Mr. Wilson in Dublin next month, but he has his work cut out for him if he is going to match PT.
I like his solo work, but nothing he has done comes close to PT at their finest IMO.

Yep the clear vinyl. Deadwing is in my top 5 albums of all time. Absentia not far behind. Porcupine Tree were sensational live. Going to see Mr. Wilson in Dublin next month, but he has his work cut out for him if he is going to match PT.
I like his solo work, but nothing he has done comes close to PT at their finest IMO.
From some rehearsal video I saw on YT there is a good chance that Arriving Somewhere... will be on the set list. I’ll be at the Birmingham show.

Has it been mentioned whether the In Absentia SW remix will be significantly different or better than previous versions? I have the 2010 Tonefloat LP release and wonder whether I need this new release or not.

Thanks very much for the heads-up on this, just pre-ordered In Absentia. A complimentary download of the same music isn’t something they offer at Burning Shed by any chance, is it?

Just listening to Your Wilderness by Pineapple Thief on vinyl now. Blooming excellent.
I don’t remember getting any complimentary download slips with any of the vinyl I’ve got from burning shed.

Last edited:
Have just listened to my copy too, I can't believe how smooth this is over the original CD master. Hardly surprising though since I can't think of a Remaster that this man hasn't delivered on... the YES remasters are fine examples in themselves.
If only he would agree to remaster the the Genesis catalogue (and therefore relegate the Nick Davis 'definitive editions' to defunct status!)

Last edited:
My clear vinyl copy of Deadwing arrived yesterday (I have the original on vinyl although I haven't sat down and compared the two) This remaster sounds well ... magnificent. Not a word I often use but the remix is so dynamic and uncompressed it's treat to listen to. I nearly didn't bother ordering the remixed versions but I'm so glad I did. Looking forward to In Absentia arriving.

Any benefit to clear or coloured vinyl over the black stuff other than rarity? I will be buying to play rather than collect.

Cheers

Thank you myrman. Pulled the trigger on black vinyl "In Absentia" in any event. Saves a couple of quid.

Cheers

advertisement

Back