advertisement

Dead ONIX OA21 Power on LED

Pending permission from the pfm main bridge, I'd like to put together an FAQ, including photos, that covers shoebox Onix integrated amps on here. Perhaps Tony Brady won't mind allowing a portion of his tony-brady.com recollections to be included, along with the extra details that you posted above?

Excellent idea, the thread title to which the recent posts are appended bears little relation to the new content. It could even belong the Classic room.

That makes sense, Malcolm. Perhaps one of the mods might happen by on their Vespa and wouldn't mind dragging posts #45 and on over to the Classic emporium?

As for an appropriate thread title, what do you think of 'Onix Shoebox History - The Brady Bunch Years'?

Last edited:
Based solely upon my memories of what the popular brands were doing into the early/mid '90s, I think Onix were following the general trend of offering increasing numbers of line level inputs, and/or noticing the proliferation of line level only integrateds, and/or possibly maintaining and/or attempting to increase market share/profits by recognizing that the bottom had nearly fallen out of turntable sales (at least for a stretch). Just a guess.

You are probably on to something here. I think the little Naim NAITs 1 and 2 would have been out around this time too, so Onix might have wanted to provide to market a similar product in terms of less power. I think the NAITS were actually more expensive that a OA21s, so perhaps the OA22 undercut the NAITs and the like on cost.

Both the line-level only OA21S and OA20/2 models pictured above appear to be late (last?) versions; one clue being what appear to be panel mounted BFA connector compatible speaker sockets. Most of the OA21S pics indicate standard Deltron board mounted stacked sockets, same as the earlier OA20/2 (more later).

Were the later OA21 PCB boards in Green and earlier ones in Blue? I could be barking up the wrong tree here though.

That would be fantastic, Stuart. 'C' and 'D' are the missing links, although it would be great to find some lid off pics of an original OA20 in 6" wide casework too.

I will dig some photos out. We will need to try and find a OA21D

Pending permission from the pfm main bridge, I'd like to put together an FAQ, including photos, that covers shoebox Onix integrated amps on here. Perhaps Tony Brady won't mind allowing a portion of his tony-brady.com recollections to be included, along with the extra details that you posted above?

I'm happy to help with that. I have access to a OA21C, E and S along with an early 6" width SOAP which sadly needs repair.

You are probably on to something here. I think the little Naim NAITs 1 and 2 would have been out around this time too, so Onix might have wanted to provide to market a similar product in terms of less power. I think the NAITS were actually more expensive that a OA21s, so perhaps the OA22 undercut the NAITs and the like on cost.
I recall JV reminiscing about the physical similarities between Onix and his NAIT 2 being somewhat too close. I suspect that he was referring to OA22, as, IIANM, the original OA20 and OA21A through S are based upon HItachi's MOSFET design paper, whereas, IIRC, Vereker's basic circuit was from an HP (or was it a TI?) design note.

Regardless, I suspect that you are correct that it was OA22, as the physical similarities appear closest with that one, close enough to have gotten under JV's skin, it would seem.

british-integrated-amplifier-1538494274-05253a39-progressive.jpg

Were the later OA21 PCB boards in Green and earlier ones in Blue? I could be barking up the wrong tree here though.
Seems they alternated between green and blue boards for some time.
I will dig some photos out. We will need to try and find a OA21D
That would be great! Funny that 'D' was the model that introduced RCA sockets in place of DIN.
I'm happy to help with that. I have access to a OA21C, E and S along with an early 6" width SOAP which sadly needs repair.
Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated, Stuart. When the time comes, I'll ask Tony L if we could both have editor access to the thread. There's no rush, mind, whenever you find the time is fine with me. I'll continuing collecting information as and when.

Cheers,
Craig

Here's the 'Bra Straps' version OA20/2 (1985 to 1988), and subsequently replaced by OA22 (1988 - 1992, described as revised with an extra input). Perhaps this is the one that had gotten on Mr. Vereker's tits! :D

If JV were simply complaining about the Onix format in general, then it strikes me as sour grapes, especially so, considering that NAIT was introduced in 1983 vs. OA20 (original) running from 1981 to 1982, and subsequently replaced by OA21A in the wider box before NAIT came along. He did mention NAIT 2 though, so that would have put his objections round the time of these variants.

4679553133-b47b9bf7ee-o.jpg

Last edited:
A chap called Craig Hill was the other half Onix back in the day. I spend quite a bit of time with him listening to the 'Onix' story of old, very interesting & amusing. I have some original Onix pcb art work somewhere. Bit of British HiFi history.

A chap called Craig Hill was the other half Onix back in the day. I spend quite a bit of time with him listening to the 'Onix' story of old, very interesting & amusing. I have some original Onix pcb art work somewhere. Bit of British HiFi history.

Craig Hill and Tony Brady were the two people there at the start who formed Onix Audio. Craig did the casework and marketing and Tony did the electronic designs and layouts.

It would be interesting to see what models and versions of pcb artwork you have.

Craig Hill and Tony Brady were the two people there at the start who formed Onix Audio. Craig did the casework and marketing and Tony did the electronic designs and layouts.

It would be interesting to see what models and versions of pcb artwork you have.

I'll have to get in the loft and find them.

I recall reading something about Craig Hill having worked at Brighton Cassette and Hifi back when he and Tony Brady first started out together.

Coincidentally, @tenpercenter mentioned this week that he has the original receipt from Brighton Cassette and HiFi for his OA21B (that he had purchased used from the original owner).

I recall reading something about Craig Hill having worked at Brighton Cassette and Hifi back when he and Tony Brady first started out together.

Coincidentally, @tenpercenter mentioned this week that he has the original receipt from Brighton Cassette and HiFi for his OA21B (that he had purchased used from the original owner).

Craig Hill along with his dad Arther owned Brighton Cassette and HiFi then some time later it was named just Brighton HiFi. (1976) They originally had a shop in Reading called Reading cassette and HiFi and for a time they had both shops.

Craig Hill along with his dad Arther owned Brighton Cassette and HiFi then some time later it was named just Brighton HiFi. (1976) They originally had a shop in Reading called Reading cassette and HiFi and for a time they had both shops.
Thankfully, they didn't change the name to Brighton Compact Disc and HiFi. :)

P.S. Although, Reading Compact Disc and HiFi would have been punny.

A quick update on my recently acquired Onix OA21/ B amplifier - thanks to all that replied on my originals posts / questions.

Blanking plug duly made, plugged it in and it sounded really good - fast, dynamic and tonally rich sounding. There was a bit of hum through the speakers and a bit of crackle when turning the volume knob on first turning on. So I had the amp fully serviced replacing all caps etc - the amp was totally original and untouched.

Had it back a week now and it runs silent, no crackling - simply superb sound. They deserve their high reputation.

I have different kind of early ONIX amplifier models images and photos.
Please, tell me how to upload images here?

advertisement

Back