advertisement

Dead ONIX OA21 Power on LED

At the back of the unit, of which I don't have a photo, there's a DIN connector concerning the connection between pre and power amp. This socket has to be plugged with an internally wired DIN connector. Obviously, if one removes this plug no sound is being produced. Maybe this thing is for connecting an external EQ of some sort, or connecting an external power amp.

I remember Naim offered a mod for the Nait2 to convert it into a NAC72-ish pre amp, and they continue this feat to this day from Nait3 through the modern products.

It has just three inputs: tuner, tape and disc. PLUS that pre-power "input".

No need to look for a SOAP though, as we plan to remove the SOAP umbilical cord anyway IF my friend is planning to keep the unit. I removed it in my 21S to use the hole to fit a DIN input to match a Naim interlink.

Just spotted this old thread - I’m interested in the wiring arrangements for the DIN plug to be fitted to the pre/power Din socket on the Onix OA21 - so that it can function as an integrated - anyone know ?

Just spotted this old thread - I’m interested in the wiring arrangements for the DIN plug to be fitted to the pre/power Din socket on the Onix OA21 - so that it can function as an integrated - anyone know ?

Unless you have some weird version there they do not have such a thing. All sockets are RCA and there is no pre out and power in socket.

IIRC, this socket, which varied from a rectangular Molex(?) early on to a round DIN, is intended for use with the companion SOAP power supply. SOAP has two outputs, one a regulated 24V, the other ±36V.

Judging from the info printed round back of the following OA21S example, the BWD 1 tuner could be powered from its own included T-SOAP supply; an OA21/OA21S (or a similarly configured 'classic' Onix amp); or directly from a dedicated SOAP power supply.

2074361-d7dfdf43-vintage-onix-oa21s-integrated-amp-made-in-england-see-video.jpg

If it is DIN then that's new to me! :) Note the large rectangular cut-out for a locking plastic "finger".
After a bit of dredging about, this could be 'Mini XLR'. Smaller diameter than standard XLR, and lacking the locating notch in the 1:30 o'clock position.

1599557580-1152.jpg

Last edited:
Would just like to know the wiring configuration of that plug. Or if anyone perhaps has an original Onix one going spare ? (hens teeth etc)
As these are board mounted DIN sockets, assuming it is 5-pin DIN (like the other two) then I would suspect pins 1-3 and pins 4-5 to be linked, as this would make for a more logical layout on the PCB. It also ties in with standard DIN5 pin mapping.

Easy enough to test for using an unfolded paperclip (WARNING: amp turned off during insertion!)

Unbalanced-5-pin-180-degree-DIN-connector-pinout.jpg

As these are board mounted DIN sockets, assuming it is 5-pin DIN (like the other two) then I would suspect pins 1-3 and pins 4-5 to be shorted, as this would make for a more logical layout on the PCB. It also ties in with standard DIN5 pin mapping.

Easy enough to test for using an unfolded paperclip (WARNING: amp turned off during insertion!)

Thanks it is 5 pin Din. The other source inputs appear to work with a standard Naim style 5 pin Din cable

Now that you mention it, that socket does appear rather odd. Also, it appears that it is the female inline plug that provides the 'finger', where there is usually an inner clearance notch and a square hole in the outer sleeve. A bit of '80s style gender bending going on here, me thinks (i.e. more a 'Boy George' than the full-Monty conversion).

1599557580-1152.jpg

Yep... I don't know what they are called but I've seen them used in hi fi a few times.

Aha so an older version of the OA21 DID have pre out and power in then....

FWIW I have a cure for the mains buzz present on the OA21S ;) Whether earlier versions have the same issue I don't know...

Thanks it is 5 pin Din. The other source inputs appear to work with a standard Naim style 5 pin Din cable
I am confident that it will be pins 1 to 3 and 4 to 5 linked then. You could make you own up, however, two unfolded paper clips will get it going; one between the top two sockets straight across L to R, the other bridging L to R across the next pair down.

I am confident that it will be pins 1 to 3 and 4 to 5 linked then. You could make you own up, however, two unfolded paper clips will get it going; one between the top two sockets straight across L to R, the other bridging L to R across the next pair down.

Would a Naim blanking plug work ?

Would a Naim blanking plug work ?
No, Naim's is a 240º DIN5 that plugs into to the socket marked "OUTPUT TO HI-CAP SOCKET 4" (or sommat), plus only the two pins labelled as +24V are linked.

Yours is a 180º DIN5, same as the other two sockets, correct?

advertisement

Back