advertisement

dCS Bartok DAC review on YouTube - GoldenSound

I was watching that in the very small hours of this morning. Certainly an average performance according to the reviewer but every other thing I’ve seen on the Bartok has been glowing.

I added comments to the review page on their website.

According to Stereophile the HoloAudio May L3 jitter is much higher, not lower.

Couldn't find them there. (I found some at ASR but they haven't measured the Bartok.)

Yes I have asked GoldenSound about his May measurements as I couldnt find them either. He has shown the jitter measurements in one of his videos but he should really have them on his site too. I'll look for the video...

Internet review sites stirring up controversy for hits. You gotta love them.

Strangely all the other reviews of the Bartok, for both tech and sound, have been SOTA / glowing+

I like Golden Sound's stuff. He offers a nice blend of subjective and objective that I can get along with.
If you join his discord server he will answer questions too.

Internet review sites stirring up controversy for hits. You gotta love them.

Strangely all the other reviews of the Bartok, for both tech and sound, have been SOTA / glowing+

Yes but have those reviews not been set up by dCS? Did they actually describe the Bartok in comparison to other DACs? I watched one other YouTuber's review. He has over 200k subscribers and he describes how dCS insisted on a chat with the engineers involved in the design. Is he really going to slate it?

I have recently purchased a Mola Mola Tambaqui so am not in the market for a Bartok, have no strong opinion on this DAC and my comments below are just an interest in the current state of reviewers.

I find this review very interesting as all other reviews I have seen have been so full of praise. I have respected the views of some of these reviewers and it would be quite a revelation to find that they have all been prepared to provide false and misleading reviews of such an expensive bit of kit.

Potentially it could be a case of everyone hearing things differently and the others liking the soft sound and Goldensound not liking it. However Goldensound went out of his way to say it is not just a case of not liking it - he believes it is poor.

I wonder if it is any coincidence that Goldensound's other negative comments I recall recently were aimed at MQA and that DCS seems to have a strong relationship with MQA? Maybe Goldensound may in future comment that the MQA implementation is too blame? in 2017 John Darko reported David Steven, Managing Director of dCS, as saying “The dCS and MQA teams have been in discussion, development and testing for almost a year. This is a unique and exciting implementation made possible by the flexibility and capability of our platform, as well as the fact that both companies have aligned philosophies, strong mutual respect and trust.

5-6db channel difference in noise isn't acceptable in a £150 dac never mind a 15k dac.

If they're shooting for smooth as a house sound I'm OK with that, just use it with naim olive 135s....

Dcs and mqa have aligned phosophies? Overcharging their customers for nothing special...

Nice little bit of FUD there, well done.

@Darren yeh, sorry, distortion not noise.

I have recently purchased a Mola Mola Tambaqui so am not in the market for a Bartok, have no strong opinion on this DAC and my comments below are just an interest in the current state of reviewers.

I find this review very interesting as all other reviews I have seen have been so full of praise. I have respected the views of some of these reviewers and it would be quite a revelation to find that they have all been prepared to provide false and misleading reviews of such an expensive bit of kit.

Potentially it could be a case of everyone hearing things differently and the others liking the soft sound and Goldensound not liking it. However Goldensound went out of his way to say it is not just a case of not liking it - he believes it is poor.

I wonder if it is any coincidence that Goldensound's other negative comments I recall recently were aimed at MQA and that DCS seems to have a strong relationship with MQA? Maybe Goldensound may in future comment that the MQA implementation is too blame? in 2017 John Darko reported David Steven, Managing Director of dCS, as saying “The dCS and MQA teams have been in discussion, development and testing for almost a year. This is a unique and exciting implementation made possible by the flexibility and capability of our platform, as well as the fact that both companies have aligned philosophies, strong mutual respect and trust.
No.

GoldenSound was quite right to speak out about MQA after his analysis showed it is not bit perfect and introduces distortion. It's frankly amazing that dCS are still linked up with them after that.

But GoldenSound made sure this review was not about MQA. I cant remember if he even mentioned MQA in his review at all.

Im curious, why would someone try to imply a link between Goldensound's expose of the sham that is MQA with a negative dac review from DCS?

He's reviewed loads of dacs with mqa, no one has ever claimed it colours his overall opinion before.

Wouldn't it be amazing if DCS and MQA shared the same PR company. Deny, deflect...etc etc

advertisement

Back