advertisement

DC power connectors?

flashgo

DIY Practitioner
I'm building a couple of external PSUs, and I'm wondering if there are connectors specific for DC power. My preference would be for a click lock system that can't be confused with signal connectors. Rails will range from 5 to 35VDC. Any suggestions?

I have eight way din for my unit.
4 pins for positive, 4 pins for negative.
Its in keeping with my Naim, but wont cross connect.

Wow, following up on Ramona's Neutrik links, I found the Neutrik nanocon series:
The NanoCon® is the smallest lockable 3-pole connector in the world. It offers a robust metal housing, a metal locking device, gold plated contacts and excellent cable retention.

They're a sort of mini XLR. My one concern is that they're not specifically dedicated to power. My read is that only the Powercon series is dedicated to a power connection, but it's pretty bulky and seems like overkill for carrying DC.

Neutrik speakons are the way forward for dc power umbilicals in my book.

They do an 8 pole connector which are wonderfully easy and safe, to use and assemble in practice. They are designed for PAs use so can handle loads of power and voltage, rated to around 40A and low impendance. Rock solid in use, big though. Loathe the Naim Burndys in practice which are a demon to assemble, easy to misalign pins, feel delicate and brittle in use and the devil comes for you if you want to rewire one. Ughh.

Use 2 x 4 pole speakons, which come in a 50A variant and solid black for a 'sexier look' (if you swing that way) and are smaller too as an alternative.

cheers
Ced

Ced, I'm a big Neutrik fan, so I'd like to find the appropriate match in their line. While I plan to use the speakons in future amp and speaker builds, I'm concerned about someone fumbling around behind the equipment rack and accidentally plugging a power speakon connection into a speaker speakon connection. (Mind you, this someone would not be me. :rolleyes:) Do you advocate the speakon series over the powercon series for power? Are there conventions for male vs. female receptacles for speaker vs. power?

I picked up some Neutrik PowerCon connectors on close-out from a local distributor. They are clearly meant to be an alternative to IEC plugs & receptacles for AC power. The main advantage of the Neutrik system over the IECs is that the former lock into place. OTOH, if you're looking for a very secure and potent connection, IEC 20 amp plugs and receptacles are the way to go.

So, I'm still looking for a good DC / low current connecting system. The various circular connectors suggested on this thread look to be the way to go, although there doesn't appear to be any standard. Some of these systems can be shockingly expensive when purchased from the usual places.

My first choice for DC, if money is not the issue, is Amphenol 7-pin socket. Audionet uses on their CD and Phono stage. They can be bought via Mouser but they cost a fortune - only the male socket cost 16 euros.

As mentioned above, the Powercons are for AC. Aren't the Speakons only for audio output ? I mean Powercons are directional, whites for output and blue ones for input.

337alant, what are the dimensions of these sockets ? I mean the rectangular base and the hole that need to be drilled dimensions. They can be a very good choice if they are no more bulky than Neutriks (XLRs, Powercons, 4 pole Speakons) I'm doing the same thing with my NCC200s.

There's an interesting article on Wikipedia about co-axial DC power connectors. For these, there appear to be conventions about the size of the connector and the voltage carried on it. That way, you can't put the wrong voltage into a power jack. Lumberg have a line of connectors with distinct profiles going up to 34VDC.

While I started out wanting a system that clearly distinguished power connections from signal connections, I've now realized that I also want to distinguish different voltage power connections. One way to accomplish this is to use something like a 7 pin connector where each pin would be permanently assigned to particular voltages – e.g.,
1 : 0V
2 : +15V
3: -15V
4: +25V
5: -25V
6: +35V
7: -35V
Then it's all the same plug, but you only wire up the pins with the voltages particular to the application. For example, a phono pre with local STRs could use the pins for 0, +25, and +35. The multi-pin circular connectors, like the Amphenols, are expensive, but it might be worth it for the combination of security and flexibility.

Ced, I'm a big Neutrik fan, so I'd like to find the appropriate match in their line. While I plan to use the speakons in future amp and speaker builds, I'm concerned about someone fumbling around behind the equipment rack and accidentally plugging a power speakon connection into a speaker speakon connection. (Mind you, this someone would not be me. :rolleyes:) Do you advocate the speakon series over the powercon series for power? Are there conventions for male vs. female receptacles for speaker vs. power?

Hi Flashgo, I don't think its possible to cross connect powerkon and speakon connectors so you should be fine.
They now do a metal body range which are very nice indeed.

advertisement

Back