advertisement

DC Blocker GB closing soon

Cheers gents, just changed the screws for the final ones, still silver but now with the correct countersunk heads.

The fascia is 3.5mm thick in the centre where i drilled the holes, so fastened it down to some 1" ply before making the apertures via the 4 fixing points. Drilled 3mm pilot holes then used these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-80mm-HSS-Titanium-Drill-Bits-Hole-Saw-Stainless-Steel-Metal-Alloy-Cutters-UK/362856809678?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=631995227755&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

23.5mm and 29mm which worked a treat at low speed to avoid the paint boiling/bubbling up.
Setting out is done at 40mm apart and 60mm from centre/centre.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The GB I ran was really a spur of the moment thing and was driven by getting enough people to hit the multiple that got a big discount on the caps. I’d have needed twice as many to have been able to order more.

That said I’ve got two boards and two sets of components myself and I’m now wondering if I’ll only need one. Give me a day or two to ponder and I’ll let you know if the second set is surplus to requirements.
Hi paulski

If you decide to sell the potentially spare board and components, and if they are not already spoken for, do please get in touch as I'm looking to build one at some point soon.

Many thanks.

Cheers. Bill

Finally completed!

It took me all day to complete it and the new power loom. But hopefully you'll agree, it was worth the effort.
The build is solid and snug. All int/ext cabling is H07RN-F 2.5mm2.

There's no fuses in the loom except at the usual mandatory UK wall plug, the Neutrik connectors are superb!

Last edited:
Nice job Raj.
After a day or two - tell us, what do you hear ..?
Thanks martin.

Hearing observations, the context being subtle improvements:
It's brought out the mid-range and given the sound-stage more depth and sharper focus, lowering the noise floor considerably.
The sound overall has a sense of increased clarity, I can hear deeper into the mix with ease and smoothness. Vocals have an increased rasp and texture.
I think there's more bass too, with added richness and texture but this could simply be the slightly fuller mid-range.

Last edited:
But does that have continuity to the sleeve once you've assembled the box? I've had the situation where I've had to run more than 1 ground as I couldn't get continuity between the different panels due to the paint/powder-coat finish. Well worth checking just to be safe!

I always have to bare two countersink holes on modushop cases to get full continuity across all panels.

Yes you have to be careful with anodized aluminium panels there is no continuity between them so in this case equipential bonding is the safe bet IMO
Alan

But does that have continuity to the sleeve once you've assembled the box? I've had the situation where I've had to run more than 1 ground as I couldn't get continuity between the different panels due to the paint/powder-coat finish. Well worth checking just to be safe!

Yes, the sleeve is fully earthed too. The earthing point on the front panel is the actual marked manufacturers point for earthing the chassis. I’ve also ran the meter over it to confirm

@YNWOAN thanks!

For anyone who's contemplating building something using the same DC Blocker and CM/EMI Filter; they both definitely have a very positive effect and work well together.
More warmth and detail across the whole spectrum, i was a little worried about reports of dynamics being quashed, when in-fact they have improved, there's more bass and lower end definition. Not bad for a c£375 outlay its cost to complete (including all the new cables end to end)...

FYI - spoke to BOPLA UK the case manufacturer i used. If there's a group buy of 10+ cases, they can supply a complete case pre-machined with all the apertures required for c£65 each inc delivery.

advertisement

Back