advertisement

db poweramp

lossless level 5 usually gives the best relationship between ripping time and space saving ime. The higher levels take progressively longer, and rarely give more than a few extra percent compression. If you're embarking on a lot of rips it's worth checking which tags you have set to rip - there are some useful ones like ComposerSort that might not be on by default.

I rip at level 0.
Cant say I can hear any difference, but since storage are cheap, and ripping takes time, I dont want to re-rip if there is a difference.
I also imagine with less compression, the source will have to struggle less when playing.

Good suggestion from AndyU, I actually have a couple of albums where my processor toggle between HDCD and normal 16/44,1. Going to try his suggestion and re-rip thoose albums.

Hope this is also relevant...
I'm in the process of using DBP to rip my CDs as FLAC to a WD NAS drive. If I batch convert them to mp3 for my portable (S4 phone) will I lose the original FLAC files or will it make mp3 copies of the originals? Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Hope this is also relevant...
I'm in the process of using DBP to rip my CDs as FLAC to a WD NAS drive. If I batch convert them to mp3 for my portable (S4 phone) will I lose the original FLAC files or will it make mp3 copies of the originals? Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Yes, you can use batch converter to make another copy in another format (MP3) if you wish. I've done the same thing - and sent the MP3 files to another directory on the NAS, which itunes now points to from my laptop. You can now use this directory for uploading playlists etc to mobile devices.

I was a bit paranoid about this to start with and made an additional copy of the original NAS files before using batch converter in case it went wrong, suggest you do the same.

Thanks for your swift and informative response.

Just an additional note: you want to create a backup of your original FLACs anyway - your NAS drive probably came with some software that will do this (and run on schedule to keep the backup up to date) - that way if something/someone corrupts or deletes the files you haven't wasted X hours of time.

Ok so have ripped a few dozen CDs why is only some albums showing artwork on the nstream app, when all were there when I ripped them?

Is the image embedded in the flac file itself? You can check using dbp which allows you to right click and 'edit' the tag details.

Tried that, no use. Makes me want to go out and but a new CD player, life too short at the end of the day.

I have one for sale, if you are interested :)

But seriously - please check if you have cover.jpg files in your folders. Not all media servers are able to display embedded covers and require additional files.

I have one for sale, if you are interested :)

But seriously - please check if you have cover.jpg files in your folders. Not all media servers are able to display embedded covers and require additional files.

Don't know but I'll check, if not how do I go about it? does it have to be in the folders on the pc or dbp?

In the folders your streamer points to to find the music.

Bliss is a useful piece of software to help you do this if you've already got hundreds of rips done.

advertisement

Back