advertisement

Day visits in Scandinavia, suggestions?

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
Mrs ks and me are going on a 7 day cruise to Copenhagen, Skagen, Oslo and Kritstensand.

Any suggestions of things to do, places to see, good places to eat?

In Copenhagen you absolutely have to see Rosenborg Slot, the royal palace built by King Christian IV within the city. It’s an architectural beauty, small but perfectly formed and anyone will be wowed by its contents, including the Danish Crown Jewels. There’s a pair of earrings he gave to his mistress made out of fragments of a cannonball that nearly blew his head off and blinded him in one eye in a naval battle. It’s quirky, beautiful and easy to access.
Out of town there are options an hour by train- Elsinore Castle, the setting for Macbeth and wedding venue of James IV of Scotland. Then Frederiksborg Castle with gardens reminiscent of Versailles.

Rosenborg Castle
Øster Voldgade 4A
1350 København K
Phone: +45 3315 3286
[email protected]

In Copenhagen you absolutely have to see Rosenborg Slot, the royal palace built by King Christian IV within the city. It’s an architectural beauty, small but perfectly formed and anyone will be wowed by its contents, including the Danish Crown Jewels. There’s a pair of earrings he gave to his mistress made out of fragments of a cannonball that nearly blew his head off and blinded him in one eye in a naval battle. It’s quirky, beautiful and easy to access.
Out of town there are options an hour by train- Elsinore Castle, the setting for Macbeth and wedding venue of James IV of Scotland. Then Frederiksborg Castle with gardens reminiscent of Versailles.

Rosenborg Castle
Øster Voldgade 4A
1350 København K
Phone: +45 3315 3286
[email protected]
Many thanks…. I do like a castle

buy some Norwegian brown cheese - very tasty.

and if you see any -

‘Herdalskaramell’ - goats milk caramel with hazelnuts - delicious.

Familiarise yourself with Swedish culture in advance by listening to all six series of R4’s comedy The Cold Swedish Winter - worth the licence fee plus a weeks wages of anyones money.

Many thanks…. I do like a castle

If so, in Oslo there’s the Akershus castle/fortress. It overlooks the fjord so you may see it on the way in.

If you like art I’d also recommend the national gallery (Nationalgalleriet) up near the royal palace. Not least for the Munch collection, including probably the most famous version of The Scream. I haven’t been to the Munch museum but enjoyed the National.

We’ll spotted, my bad and a very diplomatic way of putting it! He wrote Macbeth for James IV/I who coincidentally he had his wedding there in the Chapel Royal. It is of course the setting for Hamlet.
Alas poor Banquo, I knew him Horatio. Is this a dagger I see before me, or is it nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune? Hamlet, Hamlet, wherefore art thou?
Bugger. I'll come in again.

Tivoli gardens, one of the oldest amusement parks in the world said to have inspired a certain Mr Disney

Agreed, but best visited after sunset, when it really lights up.(obviously)
If you do this, and I agree, maybe book dinner at Nimb? We did this on a weekend break in Copenhagen. Not only was the food excellent, but you get free entry to the Tivoli Gardens via a private entrance from the hotel. So a nice post-prandial stroll around the gardens as it is getting dark.

If you do this, and I agree, maybe book dinner at Nimb? We did this on a weekend break in Copenhagen. Not only was the food excellent, but you get free entry to the Tivoli Gardens via a private entrance from the hotel. So a nice post-prandial stroll around the gardens as it is getting dark.
Definitely on the list, many thanks

advertisement

Back