advertisement

David Toop interviewed by Michael 45

A bit of a surprise and as far as I know new territory for Michael. A two hour interview exploring the huge Quartz-Mirliton Cassette Recordings 1970-1979 box set on Vinyl On Demand.

I suspect one or two members will be interested to hear David's recollections of the British improvised music scene in the 1970s.

Michael 45 has some very interesting musical taste, he regularly finds stuff to recommend that is off map to many audiophiles. A good example being his look at the Philips Prospective avant garde series from the ‘60s and ‘70s:

Michael 45 has some very interesting musical taste, he regularly finds stuff to recommend that is off map to many audiophiles. A good example being his look at the Philips Prospective avant garde series from the ‘60s and

Coincidentally - before I saw Paul’s post this morning - yesterday I listened to Company 81 ( with David Toop, Jamie Muir, Steve Lacy, Christine Jeffrey, et al) and Parmigiana from the Philips series. It struck me how exceptionally good both sounded - demonstration quality if you like. Can’t see it happening though. So what is this mythological boundary that defines audiophiles from the rest? Is the implication that audiophiles are not very progressive in their listening taste?

Look forward to hearing what David Toop has to say, I have a lot of respect for his music and writing.

Last edited:
I finished watching this today and recommend it. But then I could happily listen to David talk all day. It covers quite a lot from free improvisation to the various scenes David has written about from Rap Attack onwards and I thought Michael's co-host Stunty did a great job.

I kind of wonder how many of Michael's regular viewers are going to drop £470 on a set of lo-fi recordings of early 1970s free improv but who knows!

So what is this mythological boundary that defines audiophiles from the rest? Is the implication that audiophiles are not very progressive in their listening taste?

Look forward to hearing what David Toop has to say, I have a lot of respect for his music and writing.
I saw Michael45’s promo of this surprising live steam last week, but only managed to listen to it all last night. It was really excellent. David Toop is so articulate and in a way a sort of ‘new renaissance’ artist for our time with his all his interests and practices.

Here is another interview from about 4 years ago where he talks about listening and silence that that goes someway to answering Graham’s question. Note the clever use of the background space and the movement and silence within it adding emphasis to his talk. I wonder if he devised that as well?

advertisement

Back