advertisement

David Sanborn, expert opinion please

MUTTY1

Waste of bandwidth
As a jazz novice finding his way around, bought 'Voyeur' as a punt
to try him out , partly a review, but very taken by the cover - full size, not your mealy Cd postage stamp !!
The LP is a bit funky for my taste but I love the way he plays alto sax and there are tantalising moments of originality in there.
Anyone who knows the man and knows most/ all of his output; can they point me in the right direction?
I understand from 'allmusic.com' that he was catholic in his output - i'm looking for the jazz side of this.

Thanks

Paul

My expert opinion is he's dreadful and lacks cajones. If you want real alto playing try Ornette Coleman, Change of the Century is a good place to start. Or, of course, Charlie Parker. The Complete Dial Sessions is essential.

-- Ian

then you may have a point. On the sounds he makes I can't agree. However may have a sneaky look at your recommendations except charlie parker.

Straight to the Heart is my favorite, though I don't have any of his output after 1988.

Personally I wouldn't call his music Jazz at all, it is a soft sort of funk. Having seen him and have "Straight to the heart" and "Voyeur" I think "Straight... " is more representative.

I also think Marcus Miller is better on his own [try "Tales"] than with Dave. Nowadays I find too much alto is taxing on the ear.

My verdict - pleasant enough.

Cheers.

Love your moniker !

I understood that he did a number of different styles of music over time - ie: catholic in output. I just like his playing of the alto. Music on 'Voyeur' is as you say 'pleasant enough' - damning praise and I agree. but there must be an album out there without the commercial side ?

Paul

I would like to think there is as well but I have never heard of it. I treated his output as one of those side turnings along the way.

I do really like Alto though and he does sound like himself; it is hard enough to have an original voice.

I think he has rightly gained respect.

[P.Ss. I doubt very much if he would describe his music as Jazz]

Long live the Fretless Bass!

advertisement

Back