advertisement

David Crosby, recommendations?

I'd go with others here and agree that If I Could Only Remember My Name is the best solo album from either C, S or N and that Crosby's done nothing half as good since. I don't think it quite has the depth of Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, On the Beach or Tonight's the Night, though.

Still's first solo album is great, as are Songs for Beginners and Wild Tales by Graham Nash. After that I kind of lose interest in anything by C,S or N. Am I missing out? Manassas are OK, but it always sounds like the wrong side of too much Chas to me.

I can heartily recommend Crosby-Nash - Another Stoney Evening. Recorded live in late 1970 it includes some tracks from 'If I Could Only ...' + some Nash traks and CSNY tracks. Just the 2 of them with guitars it is a very intimate performance with Crosby in good vocal form despite suffering from 'Lebanese flu' as described by Nash and thus the 'Stoney' reference in the title. The vinyl sounds very good and since the bad pressing review on Amazon as had a corrective repress.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Q6PX3I/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Just wacked this one on. Nice, but you can tell they're really baked.

Stephen Stills' charming album of acoustic demos from April '68 Just Roll Tape is well worth a listen, too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back