advertisement

David Crosby - If I Could Only...

Its available on streaming and the extra material is pretty good.

My vinyl setup is much better than my digital setup so based on a listen today the Rhino pressing of a few years ago sounds better and is from original tapes although perhaps with a digital stage. However the new vinyl pressing is meant to be AAA throughout so may be an improvement. The extra material isn't part of the vinyl issues sadly.

The extra (CD Only) material is interesting but not essential however as their is no "bonus" to be had with the vinyl release I will probably buy the CD anyway.

The Classic 180gm is a lovely release however there was rumour of a MoFi "One Step" in 2022. Would I pay £180 for it? Maybe not

I also have the DVD-A and the Classic Records 180g LP. I’ll be buying the CD for the extra material. The music has aged really well - it’s still one of my favourite records from that period.

Mine too. I've got a green and orange Atlantic edition from the mid 70s and am looking forward to having a listen to the new material. It was the record, for me, that best brought together the different sounds of the west coast in the late 60s / early 70s - the Dead, Jefferson Airplane. CSN&Y - into a coherent record. It'll be interesting to see if the extra material adds anything.

I knew I should have kept this (original LP) when I sold all my LPs!

My long-time (from 1965) pen friend was at school with Mr Crosby!
Quite a few things from this era have lasted well; Spirit, Love,.....

The 4 track 7 1/2 ips Reel tape of If Only I Could Remember My Name is rather special if you can find one in good condition and have the equipment to play it. Thanks to the character of the Ampex tape used it has a very alive quality to it.

Played the Tidal "extras" again last night and I think I will buy the new CD after-all.
Very well recorded for demos and working versions, it must be no real trouble for the label to release these on vinyl or to have made the re-issue a double.

Played the Tidal "extras" again last night and I think I will buy the new CD after-all.
Very well recorded for demos and working versions, it must be no real trouble for the label to release these on vinyl or to have made the re-issue a double.
Agreed, the extras are definitely worthwhile

Although I said I would not, I bought the MoFi Supervinyl 2 x 45rpm release and it is excellent. I relented after reading and watching various reviews, particularly the German "45RPM Audiophile" guy. He commented on, and it works in my place, the huge sound-stage width which expands on all other releases I have and also produces more depth which is rare for me because of speaker / wall proximity limitations.

The downside, apart from the silly UK cost, is of course the two tracks per side issue but that is not too bad for me as I always favoured the first four tracks anyway.

I must do some checking on my other releases or online now because this issue does not have track by track players listed.

On a closely related note, there was an interview in The Guardian with Graham Nash yesterday.

‘There was an enormous amount of drugs being taken’: Graham Nash on groupies, feuds, divorce and ego | Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young | The Guardian

I found it interesting how someone who very clearly sees himself as a wonderful person comes across as quite the opposite.
Me too. He is the epitome of the out-of-touch sanctimonious millionaire rock star. Far from the enlightened Aquarian Age new man he imagines himself to be, he comes across as a sexist dinosaur. Probably still calls women ‘chicks.’ Deja Vu is a great album tho.’

advertisement

Back