advertisement

David Bowie - Toy Box

I’m suspecting ‘not very’. Certainly nothing here (so far, I’ve only played the first two CDs) that even remotely worries say 1. Outside, Heathen, The Next Day etc. It’s not terrible, but that isn’t the bar to jump for a Bowie album.

That's pretty much my take on it. It's not bad, but it's not Bowie at his best either. Like you I also agree that a lack of context for the 3 discs is somewhat annoying. It's for hardcore fans only I think and even then it's still a bit of an outlier.

So far it ain’t tickling me, despite actively looking for a diamond in the dirt.

Production is okay, vocals sound good, but nothing is grabbing me. I ain’t hearing no hooks yet, although London Boys versions are slightly catchy.

Not giving up on it, but wouldn’t recommend it so far.

Finally got round to playing the final CD and I suspect it may be the most successful! It gives the songs a bit more of a period-correct feel, almost a bit Moody Blues at times.

Listened to the whole thing again today and really enjoyed it. Streaming. 24/96 on Amazon. The unplugged stuff just blew me away. What a lovely tone on that 12 string he had.
In the room quality. Loved it.

10 inch Box Set now down to £49 (was £119 on release)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09C57P829/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Double 12" vinyl due to be released on 5th August for £41.99.

giphy.gif

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back