Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

David Bowie - Toy Box

Discussion in 'music' started by Tony L, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

So, David Bowie’s shelved ‘Toy’ album exists as a 3xCD or 6x10” box set.

The CD box turned up this morning, but I’ve only had a chance to play the first disc so far. One thing that is decidedly lacking is an instruction manual. The booklet adds absolutely no context or information, and with this one that is needed. My suspicion is there has been a fair bit of posthumous revision. Somewhere I have a ropey MP3 of the “album” when it was first leaked well over a decade ago. It is ages since I’ve played it, but my memory is different to what I just played earlier. I’ll see if I can find it.

As best as I can piece things together this was a deep-dive through some very old unreleased songs, some dating back to the ‘60s, but recorded in 2000. How they got from there to here is not explained. No idea what I make if it yet, but it’s certainly no Blackstar.

Anyone else working through it?

2. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

Is it the chippings left over from a rather nice bit of furniture? But at least its him exploiting himself which has to be progress:)

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The 45rpm bloke really likes it.

4. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

5. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

6. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Was a big feature on it in Uncut a good while ago, which explains it all IIRC. My copy not arrived yet.

7. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

According to Earl Slick and a few of the other musicians involved Toy was recorded immediately after the 2000 tour as a band while the band was on form, I gathered Bowie was not happy with the final outcome. I have it as it was included in the Era 5 box set but as yet have not listened to it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  8. Olaup

Olaup pfm Member

Hope the music is better than the appalling cover artwork.

Wolfmancatsup, guydarryl and fegs like this.
  9. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

‘Toy’ is album of the week on the BBC Radio 2 Ken Bruce show

:)

10. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

It’s tempting to say it’s his “funny little early songs” given his 2000 power band treatment. Which I think is accurate. How essential it is, I’m not sure yet.

11. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Just played it all on Spotify. That's £25+ saved.

12. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Bought from What Records but still not received, any else buy it from them and received it yet?

13. guey

guey pfm Member

I really like the new version of The London Boys - there's also an excellent version on the Live At The BBC album that came in the latest boxset.

14. fegs

fegs pfm Member

is this available on 12" vinyl or is it box set only?

Can't seem to see a "regular" vinyl version

15. boon

boon pfm Member

It’s available from HMV for just under £120.00, https://store.hmv.com/store/music/vinyl/toy-box

but as you say, box set only!

16. fegs

fegs pfm Member

17. onlyconnect

onlyconnect pfm Member

CD box here. Enjoying it.

Tim

guey likes this.
  18. boon

boon pfm Member

Exactly, apparently according to DB website it was only available at time of release as an album on, wait for it……..cassette!

fegs likes this.
  19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m suspecting ‘not very’. Certainly nothing here (so far, I’ve only played the first two CDs) that even remotely worries say 1. Outside, Heathen, The Next Day etc. It’s not terrible, but that isn’t the bar to jump for a Bowie album.

tiggers likes this.
  20. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Has the same lazy vibe as Pin Ups for me. He followed it with a far better album IMO.