Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

David Amess MP stabbed in Leigh-On-Sea

Discussion in 'off topic' started by farfromthesun, Oct 15, 2021.

1. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

lordsummit likes this.
  2. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

Not 100% fact but:

https://news.sky.com/story/david-am...d-at-constituency-surgery-police-say-12434589

"Sky News understands the individual who has been arrested is a British citizen with Somali heritage."

lordsummit likes this.
  3. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

I think this is a very honest post and highlights the problem that hatred is an all consuming emotion that initially clouds humanity.

molee, Mullardman, Seeker_UK and 4 others like this.
  4. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

I agree it was a good post and respect to @farfromthesun for being honest. However, I think it's entirely possible to think/feel all of these things at once:

1. Nobody deserves to die in such a terrible fashion.

2. Human sympathy for the loved ones Amess leaves behind.

3. Fear about the state of politics in this country. I want to live in a country where MPs can meet the people they represent face to face. It is good for democracy. Anything that makes that more difficult is bad for democracy.

4. Revulsion at the man's voting record.

The latter is not an abstract ideological point. It is grounded in direct experience of seeing the policies this man voted for immiserate people I love, literally making them sick with worry. Many thousands of people have not been so lucky during a decade of Tory rule and have either taken their own lives or died from neglect. I wonder when the loss of those lives will be mourned so publicly.

So I don't think this is a case of hatred (I would say anger) clouding humanity. Anger (e.g. when loved ones are hurt) is as much a part of being human as any other emotion and can co-exist with (e.g.) human solidarity for the bereaved. If anything, the suggestion that people ought not to express their anger (and deny a part of their own humanity) is inhumane.

PsB, Warren, palindrome and 16 others like this.
  5. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Magnanimous tributes on the news from all sides, from what I’ve seen.

6. tqineil

tqineil Ubi fides ibi lux et robur

Awful news, my thoughts are with his family

7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It’s terrible, know little of him but feel very sad for his family.

8. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

RIP David Amess. This is shockingly awful, and seems to be a symptom of the cancer of divisiveness that has infected politics.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    TheDecameron likes this.
  9. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I am appalled that this has happened... again.. and I too recognise it as a direct assault upon the fabric of our democracy. I too feel for the man, his family, friends and colleagues.

However.. I am almost equally appalled that a man so universally described as 'a nice bloke' etc.. could have the voting record outlined below, as it points to someone driven either by a meanness of spirit, or some sort of religious fervour.
    https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10009/david_amess/southend_west/votes

And finally, I am afraid that when the dust settles.. this will be used by some, to justify their increasing use of repressive regulation, far beyond that needed to protect elected representatives.

tqineil, twotone, ff1d1l and 2 others like this.
  10. MartinC

MartinC pfm Member

Having not resided now in the UK for 30 years I feel perhaps unable to comment other that to say that as others have noted, whether one agrees or disagrees with an elected officials position on issues, it is a sad day when an event like this happens, and it will only serve to swing public opinion to the right with respect to immigration and minorities.

One has to vigorously defend the democratic system, as we have seen in the USA with the Trump administration, democracies are not iron clad and never too far from a tipping point.

11. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

moving to hear the views of his constituents , amazing he was there for so many years .

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Dreadful news, I listened to the unfolding news last night between 4 and 7 in the car. It's an appalling crime, very much shades of Jo Cox. Very similar, both doing their jobs, both very well received working for their constituents. Both had families.
    As for his voting record, of course it's relevant. It's the first place you go to find out what he believed. Jo Cox was murdered for her beliefs and what she voted for and against, so it's a distinct possibility that the same motive may apply here in a very similar crime. It may be that it turns out to be unconnected, but we'd all agree that it's a reasonable question to ask as a starting point.

twotone, ff1d1l, PhilofCas and 2 others like this.
  13. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

The newspapers are full of understandable coverage, you could be forgiven for not remembering that several of them have been ramping up divisiveness for years. More so recently, with screaming headlines of Traitors!, Enemies Of The People! and so on. Perhaps the self examination could be taken beyond MP's security.

PsB, MikeMA, bigjonny and 11 others like this.
  14. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It’s the fault of the person who stabbed him & no one else.

16. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

We don't know this, yet. The investigation is still ongoing.

17. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

He didn’t stab himself multiple times;)

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Not necessarily. He may have been coerced, brainwashed, be the fall guy for a bigger group conspiring to commit murder, any manner of possibilities.

MikeMA, ff1d1l and Andrew C! like this.
  19. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

I'm well aware of that:rolleyes:. However if the police are treating it as a terrorist incident, then there has to have been information to support that assertion. The below comment by @stevec67 is worthy of reflection.

MikeMA and SteveS1 like this.
  20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Sky TV have now said ‘Islamist terrorism’.