advertisement

Dave Laine of Flashback Sales has died

Greetings to one of the original '13'.

A transatlantic hello to you, too! Thank you for setting up the collection. It's a very kind thing to do.

My own "Flashback story" is that I bought a non-Naim headphone amp, excitedly plugged it into my 282, and got nuthin', zilch, nada... If Dave hadn't hooked me up with the correct cable, I would have had an expensive doorstop on my hands.

A transatlantic hello to you, too! Thank you for setting up the collection. It's a very kind thing to do.

My own "Flashback story" is that I bought a non-Naim headphone amp, excitedly plugged it into my 282, and got nuthin', zilch, nada... If Dave hadn't hooked me up with the correct cable, I would have had an expensive doorstop on my hands.

'No taxation without representation' :)

My big link to Dave and Flashback beyond beautiful cables for my Naim olive gear are the cats...and one is called Aneurin...a Welsh name...and that is my name my shortened to Nye...As Tiggers said earlier..'anyone who makes hifi cables and loves cats must be a good person'...I think everyone on here will agree Dave and Lyn are lovely.... remember..someone only truly dies when they are forgotten and David Laine will not be forgotten anytime soon.

£910....getting close to £1000! Thank you all and virtual hugs. :)...make that £915!

I have several of Dave's cables, mostly for Quad (?33 to 520 - no problem...). I rang one day asking if I could have a cable to link up a B&O tape deck - I didn't even have to detail the pin out, beautifully made cable sent in 48 hours.
We've lost a lovely person.

"I've had some really wonderful condolence e-mails from all over the
world and I'd like to say 'Thank you'

I passed some of them on to Dave's Mum and it's been a great comfort to
her (and me, of course) to know her son was held in such high esteem

Is this (above) something that could be added to the forum ?"

Lyn asked this was posted on the forum

"I've had some really wonderful condolence e-mails from all over the
world and I'd like to say 'Thank you'

I passed some of them on to Dave's Mum and it's been a great comfort to
her (and me, of course) to know her son was held in such high esteem

Is this (above) something that could be added to the forum ?"

Lyn asked this was posted on the forum

You have posted it :)

I had an e-mail informing me that Dave has died of cancer and so FlashBack Sales have ceased trading.

Terrible news and I feel so sad that this has happened. Best wishes and comfort for his wife

FF

Unfortunately I only spoke to Dave once, and it was the briefest of phone calls.

I called Flashback HQ just before 4 o’clock, needing some advice on what cable to buy and keen to get whatever that was early next week to test my new power supply. Dave shouted to his wife who was just on her way out of the door, he asked for my address and for me to wait a moment, I heard him say bye to his wife. Dave confirmed his wife had just left for the Post Office and hopefully I’d have the cable I needed by Monday latest. Finally, Dave asked me for payment.

For someone to not only trust me having spoken for less than a minute, but for him and his wife to go out of their way for me Friday afternoon was almost as impressive as the cable itself.

RIP Dave.

ps. the cable arrived 9 o’clock Saturday morning and is still singing along.

Unfortunately I only spoke to Dave once, and it was the briefest of phone calls.

I called Flashback HQ just before 4 o’clock, needing some advice on what cable to buy and keen to get whatever that was early next week to test my new power supply. Dave shouted to his wife who was just on her way out of the door, he asked for my address and for me to wait a moment, I heard him say bye to his wife. Dave confirmed his wife had just left for the Post Office and hopefully I’d have the cable I needed by Monday latest. Finally, Dave asked me for payment.

For someone to not only trust me having spoken for less than a minute, but for him and his wife to go out of their way for me Friday afternoon was almost as impressive as the cable itself.

RIP Dave.

ps. the cable arrived 9 o’clock Saturday morning and is still singing along.

A beautiful story that probably sums up Dave and Lyn...thank you for sharing.

£1020>>>>£1050 :)

Last edited:
So sad to find out that Dave has passed away, I've purchased many cables from Flashback over the years some in draws but most are still in use today.

RIP Dave

I have made contact with Lyn (Eluned is her real name but as it is a Welsh name...no one could pronounce it)...and she is very happy to receive a spot if financial help...again a big..big thank you to everyone who has commented and made a contribution...you are truly lovely people...thank you.

Ps: I hope to send Lyn the money on Wednesday...but will keep everyone informed.

Lyn has asked to use some of the money to send a bunch of flowers to Dave's mother...I have asked her for how much she wants used for flowers...I will of course let you all know...the flowers will be from the 'Sent with love and sympathy from the PFM community'.

PS: £1060

PPS: I will assume 'likes' imply agreement...I fine with it...and I will make clear on here how much will be sent to Lyn and how much the flowers cost... Assuming that Interflora is still happening due to CV-19.

£1120.....The funds won't be available to give to Lyn for another 11 days and then 'just giving' will make a deduction for the set up. I will publish a mini account.

It is a processing charge...2.9% of the total (£1120 so £32.48) + £0.25 per donation (52 donations...so £13...total deductions will be £45.48....so Lyn gets...£1074.62...less flowers for Dave's mother will receive £1014.62...plus any further donations...less charges.

advertisement

Back