advertisement

Dave Cam’s memoir about to publish. Will you be preordering?

Pointless frothing, let's be honest he's already won. Born rich, private school, PM, big book advance can go & live anywhere in world. Better to ignore him.

Pointless frothing, let's be honest he's already won. Born rich, private school, PM, big book advance can go & live anywhere in world. Better to ignore him.

That's the key point for me. Camroon, BoJob, Govinator, Lord Snooty, etc, can all stash their cash abroad and could join it if this goes badly, leaving the rest of us to stew. They've already made a lot from the process thus far, with all the dodgy 'donations', etc, they get. If they cry, they can wipe their tears dry with paper money.

I can't find it in myself to hate Cameron. My main reaction to his tenure as PM is bafflement that he, as a Oxford PPEist (and, by all accounts, a very able one), could promote a referendum that drove a dagger into the UK's traditions of parliamentary representative democracy.

I can only imagine that after winning two other referendums, the voting reform one, which was no problem, and the Scottish Independence one, which was high stakes but probably unavoidable, he overestimated his own brilliance and never properly considered the implications should he lose.

So, one day I might read the book to find out what gives, but I will probably borrow it from a library.

I can't find it in myself to hate Cameron. My main reaction to his tenure as PM is bafflement that he, as a Oxford PPEist (and, by all accounts, a very able one), could promote a referendum that drove a dagger into the UK's traditions of parliamentary representative democracy.

I can only imagine that after winning two other referendums, the voting reform one, which was no problem, and the Scottish Independence one, which was high stakes but probably unavoidable, he overestimated his own brilliance and never properly considered the implications should he lose.

I think Cameron believed that a strong majority for Remain (which most people expected) would have seen off the ERG loonies and Farage/UKIP. His biggest mistake IMO was to allow Cabinet members to argue for Brexit. He should have said 'This Government's view is that we should stay in the EU. If you disagree, the backbenches beckon.' I expect most would have preferred to hang on to their jobs. Also, had Labour been led by someone less lukewarm on Europe than Corbyn, the Remain campaign might have had more impact, because the two main party leaders would have campaigned on the same platform.

David Camerons Ar*e collapsed when the brexit vote went to leave, he threw the towel in immediately and has been hiding under the stairs for the last 3 years, He now has a book to sell so has come out of hiding making all sorts of sensational statements about the people who have had to try to deliver the country's wishes for the party he deserted, the word TOSSER comes to mind
I am from Hartlepool and I am rejoicing in the 10 defecting labour counsellors to the brexit party.
Alan

That’s where they hanged a monkey isn’t?

Plus ca change...

I think Cameron believed that a strong majority for Remain (which most people expected) would have seen off the ERG loonies and Farage/UKIP. His biggest mistake IMO was to allow Cabinet members to argue for Brexit. He should have said 'This Government's view is that we should stay in the EU. If you disagree, the backbenches beckon.' I expect most would have preferred to hang on to their jobs. Also, had Labour been led by someone less lukewarm on Europe than Corbyn, the Remain campaign might have had more impact, because the two main party leaders would have campaigned on the same platform.

His catastrophic error, and one someone with the ultra privileged cost no object education he received should not have made, was not to place any sensible threshold on the referendum. Any sane person would expect at least a 66% bar for what could not be anything other than momentous constitutional and economic change. As such he will go down in history as one of most slow-witted and short-sighted ever to hold the role of UK PM, though currently his party seems quite adept at farting out candidates at least as pungent.

His catastrophic error, and one someone with the ultra privileged cost no object education he received should not have made, was not to place any sensible threshold on the referendum. Any sane person would expect at least a 66% bar for what could not be anything other than momentous constitutional and economic change. As such he will go down in history as one of most slow-witted and short-sighted ever to hold the role of UK PM, though currently his party seems quite adept at farting out candidates at least as pungent.

Both you and Joe are arguing that Cameron's big mistake was that he didn't rig the referendum in some way so that it was impossible for the other side to win.

Do you really think the other side wouldn't have spotted that? Any referendum capable of shutting down the issue also had to be 'lose-able'.

Joe's hindsight solution is closer to the correct answer: he should indeed have said, 'This Government's view is that we should stay in the EU. If you disagree, the backbenches beckon.' Then used that as the rationale not to hold the referendum at all. That would have been easier (and more honestly) done before putting the commitment in his 2015 manifesto, but even a later U-turn would have been better than what happened, and would hardly have been unprecedented; until 2016, very few people in the UK had strong views on EU membership: it wasn't yet the critical, hot potato, issue that it has now become. The referendum combined feelings about the EU with all sorts of other grievances: one of the great misleading statements of this period was, 'Brexit means Brexit'.

I suspect history will regard Cameron as no worse than a middling PM. All political careers end in failure, it is said, and even though his was certainly significant, his legacy will eventually be viewed with the benefit of knowledge of how it all turned out in the end. Either not too bad, or terrible mostly due to a whole bunch of even worse politicians, he will seem better than he now does.

Kind regards

- Garry

His catastrophic error, and one someone with the ultra privileged cost no object education he received should not have made, was not to place any sensible threshold on the referendum. Any sane person would expect at least a 66% bar for what could not be anything other than momentous constitutional and economic change.

Up to a point, though I expect that, say, a 55% vote for Leave would have left the issue open enough for a renewed push for Brexit, possibly as a result of Cameron being forced out of the Tory leadership. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Whilst interest in Cameron does not seem high around here, for anyone who is curious, BBC1 have a two parter, ‘The Cameron Years’, starting at 9pm on Thursday.

Both you and Joe are arguing that Cameron's big mistake was that he didn't rig the referendum in some way so that it was impossible for the other side to win.
Coming from a country where referenda take place every few months, I can tell you this is a very common game. And it's not all bad.

Take death penalty or anti-abortion. No matter how strong the support for such topics might be, you can be certain they'll never be voted through. Sure, things don't always go the Govt's way, but an enormous blunder like Cameron's wouldn't have been possible here.

Last edited:
Publishers of the book owned by Murdoch, fluff piece in the Times owned by Murdoch followed by huge fawning piece on said tome on Talk Radio also owned by Murdoch, if I didn't know better, I'd say there was a connection.

Publishers of the book owned by Murdoch, fluff piece in the Times owned by Murdoch followed by huge fawning piece on said tome on Talk Radio also owned by Murdoch, if I didn't know better, I'd say there was a connection.
Murdoch had his hand up Cameron while (and probably long before) he was in office, even to the extent that he was able insert a corrupt individual as his eyes and ears into No.10 as head of communications.

The man is a parasite flogging his book at this crucial stage of Brexit and trying to be little the current government. I place in the same bag as one of his previous member the odious toad John Major.

Regards,

Martin

But, look at the insightful, thought provoking things that have come out of his 3 years of hibernation. BJ and Gove are lairs and only in it for themselves. Why am I only now hearing about this?*

* I am now looking for that big, F**k off sarcasm smile button

The man is a parasite flogging his book at this crucial stage of Brexit and trying to be little the current government. I place in the same bag as one of his previous member the odious toad John Major.

Regards,

Martin
I love a bit of blue on blue action in the morning.

until 2016, very few people in the UK had strong views on EU membership: it wasn't yet the critical, hot potato, issue that it has now become
Get outta here! You must be joking! The EU has been the scapegoat for every bit of unpopular legislation and everything that's wrong for 20, no, 30 years. "Oh well they had to do that, it's the EU you know." The shitrags have been peddling this dog whistle politics the whole time. Every Somalian so called refugee gets a 6 bedroom house in Acton, straight bananas, can't speak your mind anywhere any more, that Labour politician he's gay you know, it's not right is it? On and on and bloody on, a drip drip of anti EU propaganda and resulting underlying sentiment that just feeds off itself and is self sustaining. It has always been here, all it took was that piece of shit farage, a poster of Syrian refugees and a f*king bus to reveal just how much anti Europe, yes anti Europe, not just EU, feeling there is in England once you get out of the dinner party circuit. Then some dickhead decided to bloody ask them.

But he's only confirming what everyone thought or knew about Johnson and Gove. I doubt that there are any EU officials who read the headlines yesterday and thought "Wait, Johnson's a lying self centred person, ambitious beyond his abilities, why did no one tell us this?".

The great thing is we have two failed Bullingdons pulling each other’s hair in public this week. Dave needs to get the sales up before worldofbooks.com start the remainder sale so he’s saying Johnson never believed the Brexit vote would win. Time for Nigel to ride Boris in public view and slap on the Remainer label on his arse.

Cameron's catastrophic error was the introduction of austerity & benefit reform, both of which paved the road to Brexit.

advertisement

Back