advertisement

Data over audio - hmm...

Seems a very bizarre approach, we used FSK modems with Clansman (VHF) to transmit data over 30 years ago and the bandwidth was very limited and results were not very good in field trials.

Unless they have found a way of improving things I wouldn't expect them to get any usable data transfer as I think the most we ever got was around 300 baud

Seems a very bizarre approach, we used FSK modems with Clansman (VHF) to transmit data over 30 years ago and the bandwidth was very limited and results were not very good in field trials.

Unless they have found a way of improving things I wouldn't expect them to get any usable data transfer as I think the most we ever got was around 300 baud

For IoT they don't need very high data rates - it is stuff like sending one value (temperature, humidity, whatever) once in a while.

Julf,

For IoT they don't need very high data rates - it is stuff like sending one value (temperature, humidity, whatever) once in a while.

Doesn't that depend on the T connected to the I?

Joe

Julf,

A guy at work is looking at just that — a way to stream high-res video from a camera and data from various sensors from a thing that has BlueTooth-like power consumption but WiFi-like speeds.

I don't think he had toasters in mind for the thing, though.

Joe

Of course. Just not sure my toaster needs to be able to steam high-resolution video. :)
talkie.jpeg

18Khz is certainly audible - in my yoof I could hear over 19,000 Hz easily. I doubt I'd hear it now, but then I've not tested it since I was 21.
As for those 'under 25s' sonic deterrents... at 47 I can hear them and they're really annoying!

Still don't get why people are using this, that LISNR product can only achieve 1Kbps and with encryption overheads it would be nigh on useless.

Seems bizarre they are trying to develop something new when bluetooth and wifi already provide a closed infrastructure.

I wonder what they have managed to patent when there is so much prior art for ultrasonic data over audio.
Guess how your VHF radio RDS works

advertisement

Back