advertisement

Darkrooms

Since you are in the UK, you will probably find enlargers by Gnome (had one in the '60s, honest all-metal product, but very basic 1930s design) Durst and De Vere. Whatever you get, make sure all the bits, especially the negative carrier, are there. Also that if it is a condenser enlarger the sets of condensers for both 35mm and 6x6 are included. The good lens makers are Schneider, Rodenstock and Nikkor. All three made a cheap series and a top quality series, the cheap Scheiders are called Componar (IIRC) and the good ones Componon, the Rodenstock are Rogonar and Rodagon respectively, don't know about the Nikkors. Go for the good ones, obviously.
I agree with Yank that the very cheap Dursts were toys, aimed at 12-year-olds and their first darkroom in the bathroom. But the Durst enlargers from the M601 up were the Rolls Royce of enlargers. And I see on Ebay that they start at less than £200. There are millions of M601/M605 around, because this was the top "amateur" model or the bottom "professional" one. If you can afford it, I would look at the 800 series as well. But always make sure that if it has condensers they are all there! Bear in mind that a condenser enlarger can quite easily, if you have an inclination for DIY, be converted to diffusion, using LED light and a piece of translucent Perspex/Plexiglass or similar. LED light available today is wonderful because you can get loads of light with virtually no heat, which was one of the limiting factors before LEDs.
Also with LEDs, you can make safelights that are safer but brighter than in the day. If you get a standard metal "box" safelight, the kind with a red or amber filter, and replace the original 15 watt bulb with a red LED bulb (not a white LED with red-painted glass, but an actual red-glowing LED, and keep the original filter, you'll have loads of light.

Since you are in the UK, you will probably find enlargers by Gnome (had one in the '60s, honest all-metal product, but very basic 1930s design) Durst and De Vere. Whatever you get, make sure all the bits, especially the negative carrier, are there. Also that if it is a condenser enlarger the sets of condensers for both 35mm and 6x6 are included. The good lens makers are Schneider, Rodenstock and Nikkor. All three made a cheap series and a top quality series, the cheap Scheiders are called Componar (IIRC) and the good ones Componon, the Rodenstock are Rogonar and Rodagon respectively, don't know about the Nikkors. Go for the good ones, obviously.
I agree with Yank that the very cheap Dursts were toys, aimed at 12-year-olds and their first darkroom in the bathroom. But the Durst enlargers from the M601 up were the Rolls Royce of enlargers. And I see on Ebay that they start at less than £200. There are millions of M601/M605 around, because this was the top "amateur" model or the bottom "professional" one. If you can afford it, I would look at the 800 series as well. But always make sure that if it has condensers they are all there! Bear in mind that a condenser enlarger can quite easily, if you have an inclination for DIY, be converted to diffusion, using LED light and a piece of translucent Perspex/Plexiglass or similar. LED light available today is wonderful because you can get loads of light with virtually no heat, which was one of the limiting factors before LEDs.
Also with LEDs, you can make safelights that are safer but brighter than in the day. If you get a standard metal "box" safelight, the kind with a red or amber filter, and replace the original 15 watt bulb with a red LED bulb (not a white LED with red-painted glass, but an actual red-glowing LED, and keep the original filter, you'll have loads of light.
This is really useful and will help me make the right choice of enlarger, thanks for taking the time to give a detailed response!

If you only want 35 mm, the Leica V35 is hard to beat. Once you set up the focus once, that's it. Amazing workhorse with a fab 40 mm Focotar lens. I also have a IIc, which is built like a tank and amazing for B&W. The weak link is the 100 mm V-Elmar lens for 6x6. Kienzle provide a brand new modernised IIc (likely at a massive cost). But they also sell modern Rodenstock lenses for the Iic.

I also have a LPL 7451 enlarger, which takes anything up to 5x4.

Reactions: Evo
The Durst 601 is built like a tank, I bought mine in the early 80's used and it is still fine. You should be able to find one at a reasonable price. There is a color head you can fit if you want to use Multigrade paper.

I also had an M601 for many years, only sold it when I started 5x4. Very good, strong, practical machine. If I am not mistaken there is a filter drawer above where the negative carrier fits for multicontrast filters, which is important. I had the colour head with the diffuser boxes for 6x6 and 35mm, but if buying one today I think I would get the condenser head.

That's true, the M601 does have a filter drawer above the negative carrier, I forgot to mention that. If I recall you can get a wider grade range with the filters than you can with the color head.

That's true, the M601 does have a filter drawer above the negative carrier, I forgot to mention that. If I recall you can get a wider grade range with the filters than you can with the color head.
Also sticking the chosen filter in seems simpler than "dialling in" mysterious combinations. And who can say the colour filters in the head will still be good after 40 years. And I remember that the dichroic bulb burnt out fairly often and was, even 20 years ago, hard to find and expensive.

There is a De Vere 504 Cathomag for sale for 750. From a little research it seems to be a diffuser head using a mercury filled tube. Is this the kind of thing I should avoid?

I’ve got my eyes peeled for a Durst as well.

There is a De Vere 504 Cathomag for sale for 750. From a little research it seems to be a diffuser head using a mercury filled tube. Is this the kind of thing I should avoid?

I responded to your email this morning, hope you got it. But since I've never laid hands on a De Vere others here will be better equipped to advise you.

It's definitely harder to replace and they do degrade with age, so you might be lucky and it's got loads of life, or it might be a bit of a dog. Hard to know.

The equivalent dursts (the L1200) take an ELC500 bulb, which is a standard 250w halogen bulb that is used in disco lighting, so they are easy to get hold of. The disadvantage is that they generate 250w of heat, so there's a noisy fan and your room can get stuffy. The ELC500 bulbs are I think rated for 50 hours, which is a fair bit of enlarging. There are long life versions but these aren't as bright, but other than that, work the same.

The 504 and L1200 are both large format enlargers, and probably overkill for a shed + medium format work. The L1200s weigh around 50Kg or something like that. The 504 focus + height controls below the table are a joy compared to the levers on an L1200, but you can get extension rods to bring them down to focus finder height. Both are quite tall, my L1200 stands 160cm above the base board (mine is bolted to the table), but you can get shorter columns.

I would probably suggest a smaller Durst as the sweet spot, something like an M670. They do a decent job, are much smaller and lighter, and there is a choice of B&W and colour heads (I think you can get condenser and diffuser heads, can't remember off hand what they are called though). The bulbs are 150w in the M670 if I remember (again, standard halogen stuff).

When looking for second hand stuff, be aware that there are lots of options and extras you'll need. So, for a diffuser enlarger, there is often a light box for 35mm and medium format (or medium format and large format for the L1200), you'll need a timer, a power supply, enlarger lenses (and lens board), negative holder, easel, focus finder etc etc. So, finding a local someone who is having a clear out of a darkroom is a great place to get started as chances are you'll have enough to get things going, then you can decide on upgrading bits that aren't to your liking.

Evo: I got your email and just did "reply." I 've also now sent it through PFM. I'm probably doing something wrong.

It's definitely harder to replace and they do degrade with age, so you might be lucky and it's got loads of life, or it might be a bit of a dog. Hard to know.

The equivalent dursts (the L1200) take an ELC500 bulb, which is a standard 250w halogen bulb that is used in disco lighting, so they are easy to get hold of. The disadvantage is that they generate 250w of heat, so there's a noisy fan and your room can get stuffy. The ELC500 bulbs are I think rated for 50 hours, which is a fair bit of enlarging. There are long life versions but these aren't as bright, but other than that, work the same.

The 504 and L1200 are both large format enlargers, and probably overkill for a shed + medium format work. The L1200s weigh around 50Kg or something like that. The 504 focus + height controls below the table are a joy compared to the levers on an L1200, but you can get extension rods to bring them down to focus finder height. Both are quite tall, my L1200 stands 160cm above the base board (mine is bolted to the table), but you can get shorter columns.

I would probably suggest a smaller Durst as the sweet spot, something like an M670. They do a decent job, are much smaller and lighter, and there is a choice of B&W and colour heads (I think you can get condenser and diffuser heads, can't remember off hand what they are called though). The bulbs are 150w in the M670 if I remember (again, standard halogen stuff).

When looking for second hand stuff, be aware that there are lots of options and extras you'll need. So, for a diffuser enlarger, there is often a light box for 35mm and medium format (or medium format and large format for the L1200), you'll need a timer, a power supply, enlarger lenses (and lens board), negative holder, easel, focus finder etc etc. So, finding a local someone who is having a clear out of a darkroom is a great place to get started as chances are you'll have enough to get things going, then you can decide on upgrading bits that aren't to your liking.
Thanks Cesare, that’s useful. From all that has been said a Durst with condenser head seems a good option , Ill have a look at the M670

Yes, M601, M605, M670 all sound like what you need. From what I remember, the 601 had more metal and less plastic. And I think they all had a filter drawer, but make sure. And make sure you get the condenser sets for both 35mm and 6x6. The M805 was a nice enlarger, too, and if I remember rightly could do up to 6x7 or 6x9. But will be more expensive.
An M601/605/607 (I wonder if the latter could do 6x7?) should start at around £200, but do not be afraid to spend more to get one in good nick with all the bits present.

advertisement

Back