advertisement

Danielle De Niese

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
I like a lot of 'classical' music, but haven't much knowledge.. so...on the ball as ever, I last night half watched a prog on BBC4 about 'English Music', featuring Handel and at least 10 years old. The prog was on the telly in the next room..and me on the PC..almost with my back to it.

I was caught by a female singer's voice..and further caught by her looks when I turned around. Turns out to be Danielle De Niese, of whom I had never heard.

Seeking more, I looked on Youtube and was surprised to see the level of disagreement about her talent, but also picked up on what I'd describe as a a lot of very conservative opinion.

Best of all was a comment about her 'dancing' here:

I thought she was wonderful.

Views?

Wonderful soprano and what presence! Terrific series and a pure pleasure to watch again. She and Hazelwood seemed to have a special relationship. Incredible energy and vitality the two of them. Was she winking at him?

I watched her performance as Cleopatra on television some years ago and was captivated. On the back of that I purchased a CD of her performimg various opera arias and just listening to her voice without her looks, energy and acting skills I was not so enamoured.

As a generality, classical music is increasing marketed by youth and glamour. If Claudio Arrau popped up out of nowhere and unknown, he wouldn't have a chance.

advertisement

Back