1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Johnstone RIP

Discussion in 'music' started by Bob McC, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

sad to hear he has passed away.
    Loved his music and lyrics.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    gavreid likes this.
  2. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Oh dear , Looks like he suffered demons

3. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I remember Stuart Maconie playing quite a lot of his music on a show last year. I must admit I found it a little - well, ‘harrowing’ is possibly too strong a term - ‘disquieting’ perhaps.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Very sad news, he was a one-off for sure. RIP.

5. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

I reviewed one or two of his albums in the Eighties and we exchanged a few letters, since this was before email. Wonder if I kept them? Don't think I ever saw him perform live.

Daniel Johnstone wrote moving songs, covered by people like Lana Del Rey, Tom Waits, Wilco and Beck. Faced with many problems, he produced some haunting and beautiful music. RIP.

Jack

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    gavreid likes this.
  6. kjb

kjb pfm Member

RIP - a true original. I got into him via Yo La Tengo who were huge fans.

Rather amazingly there was a 3-4 minute tribute to him on R4's PM news programme this evening!

Kevin

7. chainrule

chainrule gordon

He had a knack for creating seemingly simple somgs and art that were anything but simple.

8. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

We've been listening to him this evening on Spotify. Story Of An Artist was a particular highlight.

9. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

I saw him play once, I enjoyed the show but was more taken back by the cult-like fans who hung on his every sound and movement.

I put on a playlist the other day when I heard the news and choked up a bit when "funeral home" came on.