advertisement

Damaged Tip on AT33PTG/II

Can you get that fixed Kondo? I hoping to get mine fixed otherwise it's that bit harder to bear.

Thanks Charlie - so do I.
I can always swap back or change again further down the line. I've just been underwhelmed with the RP3 from day one. I didn't see the jump in sq from the entry level project I'd hoped for.
I'm back using the factory fitted Elys 2 for now. The difference between it and the AT33PTG is clear as day.

I haven't really been on this forum much because I just end up wanting to buy equipment. This last 18 months or so I've been back to buying albums and I'm probably the more content for it.

My experiences with Esco were rather different. I also severely injured an AT33PTG/II. I thought their price was rather too high for it to be worth doing, so spent rather more on a new DV17D3. Maybe I was just being a bit sensitive, but I found Esco's manner a bit 'brusque', what with the 'we'll give you a price for repair and a slot when we will do it'.. etc. .. though I do appreciate that they need to be organised to get through the work load. Something about the wording of their emails got to me.. I'm a sensitive soul..

They are very 'traditional' for sure! I think everything is still done on paper and a diary but their work is stunning IMO.

hi sorry for your loss a channel dropped on my at33ptg,its a cracking cart to

hi,im surprised at you parting your rega for the project,hope it works out for you,regards charlie

I find this interesting as it leads into a number of issues. I sold Linn, Rega, Project, Michell and even a few Well Tempered TTs years ago when I worked in a dealership. Both WT and Michell had a very low key approach. Almost a sort of 'We're here if you are interested' sort of thing.. . Never contacted WT personally, but I've always found Michell to be very responsive and helpful if you contact them, either as a business or personal customer. The Project stuff was always well made and good sounding, though admittedly I'm a bit out of touch now. We sold the original 'Debut' by the dozen when a lot of people suddenly realised that they had stacks of unplayed vinyl mouldering in their lofts. A 'cracking' deck for the money. My only issue with Project is that they have, if anything.. too many models on offer... most dealers seemingly stock only a selection, but there are some fine TTs in there... which is why I picked up on the sort of implication that the Rega is automatically going to be better than the Project...
Don't get me wrong, Rega is a very honest company which again is always a pleasure to deal with and which produces very fine kit. (I owned a Planar 2 for several years..) But it isn't a 'given' that it always 'tops' the alternatives.
I've left Linn to the last. I was an LP12 owner for rather too long. (my own fault) Linn stuff is always immaculately finished and presented, but can sometimes seem a bit 'fur coat and no knickers'.. especially with the earlier and really quite crudely made LP12s. Mostly though I, like many others, was put off by the snooty approach of the Linn/Linn Dealership attempted hegemony, with many dealers selling almost exclusively Linn kit and looking quite shocked if you queried their approach. All of my direct approaches to Linn.. as a customer.. resulted in rather curt insistence that I refer to my dealer. It's not an approach that wins favour from me.

Rant over :)

Mull

I find this interesting as it leads into a number of issues. I sold Linn, Rega, Project, Michell and even a few Well Tempered TTs years ago when I worked in a dealership. Both WT and Michell had a very low key approach. Almost a sort of 'We're here if you are interested' sort of thing.. . Never contacted WT personally, but I've always found Michell to be very responsive and helpful if you contact them, either as a business or personal customer. The Project stuff was always well made and good sounding, though admittedly I'm a bit out of touch now. We sold the original 'Debut' by the dozen when a lot of people suddenly realised that they had stacks of unplayed vinyl mouldering in their lofts. A 'cracking' deck for the money. My only issue with Project is that they have, if anything.. too many models on offer... most dealers seemingly stock only a selection, but there are some fine TTs in there... which is why I picked up on the sort of implication that the Rega is automatically going to be better than the Project...
Don't get me wrong, Rega is a very honest company which again is always a pleasure to deal with and which produces very fine kit. (I owned a Planar 2 for several years..) But it isn't a 'given' that it always 'tops' the alternatives.
I've left Linn to the last. I was an LP12 owner for rather too long. (my own fault) Linn stuff is always immaculately finished and presented, but can sometimes seem a bit 'fur coat and no knickers'.. especially with the earlier and really quite crudely made LP12s. Mostly though I, like many others, was put off by the snooty approach of the Linn/Linn Dealership attempted hegemony, with many dealers selling almost exclusively Linn kit and looking quite shocked if you queried their approach. All of my direct approaches to Linn.. as a customer.. resulted in rather curt insistence that I refer to my dealer. It's not an approach that wins favour from me.

Rant over :)

Mull

I agree with your point regarding the implied assumption that Rega TTs are automatically better than Project . While Rega TTs are good and deserving of their high reputation, the higher range Project TTs are under rated in my view, and can hold their own against anything Rega has to offer.

hi,fur coat and no knickers,not heard that for years had me in stiches,having not owened a project im quite prepared to take your word,it was the debut that put me off,they had a few nice decks in the 90,s and the one at 2 grand looks and im sure sounds superb,my thinking was the mods that are available for rega and rega arm would win the day,all the best for 2018,regards charlie

I finally got around to getting the cart fixed by Expert Stylus & Cartridge Company. Can't find my alignment protractor.

Typical. Probably a sign I should just sell it.

advertisement

Back