advertisement

Damaged Tip on AT33PTG/II

Ruairi

pfm Member
Howdy
When changing record this morning the lp slipped from hand and fell. It must have bounced against the tip of my stylus. It looks like the tip is gone completely. Audio Technica won't look at it as it is moving coil. Nor will they offer discount on replacement. A local hifi shop suggested using expert stylus company for re-tipping. Anyone here any experience with them? This cart has very few hours on it so I'd love a repair rather than having to shell out again. With another baby coming in a few weeks I may not be in a position to buy something quite as good.

Any and all suggestions welcome. The obvious one being try to be more careful with my gear.

I have used Esco a couple of times and they are very good - their Paratrace tip is nice. But they usually do have a lot of back-orders so expect a long turnaround time. Try and call them.

Otherwise I hear good things about Goldring (but haven't used them). They appear to be quick and reasonably priced - I'm sure someone can chime in about them.

I’ve tried Goldring’s contact page a few times with no reply. If anyone’s got a more reliable way of getting in touch it’d be useful?

I’ve an XX1 in need of a tip.

I have to apologise. I've just realised there's loads of previous threads on this.

Admin feel free to delete.
Obviously I'm still an fng.

I used Goldring for my ASAKA. 2 weeks door to door. I’m more than happy with the result!
David Giffin is the man to speak to there.

I have in the past managed to speak to Dave via the company switchboard...but I think it took a bit of persistence to get through.

When I dealt with Goldring I just phoned them up and had no difficulty being put through to David - who was very helpful indeed.

Is Dom Harper at North West Analogue still retipping? He did a great job on some Benz and Clearaudio carts I had a few years back.

Howdy
When changing record this morning the lp slipped from hand and fell. It must have bounced against the tip of my stylus. It looks like the tip is gone completely. Audio Technica won't look at it as it is moving coil. Nor will they offer discount on replacement. A local hifi shop suggested using expert stylus company for re-tipping. Anyone here any experience with them? This cart has very few hours on it so I'd love a repair rather than having to shell out again. With another baby coming in a few weeks I may not be in a position to buy something quite as good.

Any and all suggestions welcome. The obvious one being try to be more careful with my gear.

A similar thing happened to me last year, same cartridge too. I had it serviced and retipped with a Paratrace stylus by The Expert Stylus Cartridge Co. (ESCO)

The cartridge was about 3 years old at the time, and the cost of the repair was about a third of the price of a new cartridge. I'm convinced I ended up with a much better sounding cartridge for less than a third of the price of a new one, so a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned!

Give ESCO a ring on +44 1372 276604 or email [email protected]. They're very interesting and knowledgeable people - be sure to ask them about their connection with AT! The only downside is they often have a long waiting list.

I see others have mentioned Goldring as a possibility. I found them unhelpful and wouldn't bother again.

Thanks Mike.
As it turns out, a local gentleman is selling his Project Xperience so I've put my RP3 on the market and the price difference I expect to make up is about the cost of the repair.

I've been looking to swap turntable for a while and this is as good a chance as any. I sold a project essential 2 to get the RP3 and I wasn't as impressed as I hoped to be.

I'll get the repair carried out by those guys a bit further down the line and I'll see if factory fitted ortofon compares.

Worth repairing? I would think repair cost would be quite high in comparison to buying a new one, and used prices are around £220-£250 and I'm wondering if retip would be any cheaper. Then you have the problem of getting rid of it if you don't like it, retips are harder to sell

I had a quote from ESCO to retip and ATOC9 and a Dyna 10x5 and both were the same £180.00. I did manage to get through to Goldring and was told that he couldn't retip Audio Technica OC9 or the 10x5.

Worth repairing? I would think repair cost would be quite high in comparison to buying a new one, and used prices are around £220-£250 and I'm wondering if retip would be any cheaper. Then you have the problem of getting rid of it if you don't like it, retips are harder to sell
I'd pay for an ESCo retip any day rather buy a second hand, quite possibly knackered, cartridge of doubtful provenance.

As far as selling it on later, let's not forget we are talking about an AT33PTG here, not a Koetsu.

I'd pay for an ESCo retip any day rather buy a second hand, quite possibly knackered, cartridge of doubtful provenance.

As far as selling it on later, let's not forget we are talking about an AT33PTG here, not a Koetsu.
I wasn't talking about possibly knackered doubtful provenance ones ;-)

Esco are excellent. Their wait times are a function of their fastidiousness and popularity.

My experiences with Esco were rather different. I also severely injured an AT33PTG/II. I thought their price was rather too high for it to be worth doing, so spent rather more on a new DV17D3. Maybe I was just being a bit sensitive, but I found Esco's manner a bit 'brusque', what with the 'we'll give you a price for repair and a slot when we will do it'.. etc. .. though I do appreciate that they need to be organised to get through the work load. Something about the wording of their emails got to me.. I'm a sensitive soul..

Howdy

I think AT offer a trade in for mc carts?

hi sorry for your loss a channel dropped on my at33ptg,its a cracking cart to
Thanks Mike.
As it turns out, a local gentleman is selling his Project Xperience so I've put my RP3 on the market and the price difference I expect to make up is about the cost of the repair.

I've been looking to swap turntable for a while and this is as good a chance as any. I sold a project essential 2 to get the RP3 and I wasn't as impressed as I hoped to be.

I'll get the repair carried out by those guys a bit further down the line and I'll see if factory fitted ortofon compares.
hi,im surprised at you parting your rega for the project,hope it works out for you,regards charlie

advertisement

Back