advertisement

Daily Mail - 'Shocking moment' driver overtakes some cars

1995 Caterham 7 1.4 supersport 0-60 5.9s.
Only one of these is a sports car. It's anything but bloated and has a very poor interior. Nobody that drives one gives a toss. They also know that 0-60 is not the be all and end all of performance.
Great fun to drive. They are in category of their own really, more track day than sports car.

1995 Caterham 7 1.4 supersport 0-60 5.9s.
Only one of these is a sports car. It's anything but bloated and has a very poor interior. Nobody that drives one gives a toss. They also know that 0-60 is not the be all and end all of performance.[/QUOTE
]

sigh.........

Great fun to drive. They are in category of their own really, more track day than sports car.
Absolutely. It's a racing car with numberplates and lights. Utterly raw in its execution, and something that spoils you for all else. BMW M3? Yeah, it's a fast saloon. 911? It's a sports coupe with a choppy ride. Both are heavy though, might as well be in a Land Rover. You don't turn the wheel in a 7, you just flex your wrists. Mind you, this was with a quick rack and you don't want to try a 3 point turn in the thing.

... no, things like that 'one-point turn' - full lock, 2krpm and pop the clutch for <1/2s and all will rotate neatly around the inside front 180degrees in an instant - very tidy, but not for use on the high street ;)

Less mass= mo' better for sport.
(and overtaking, come to that; and no, I am not going to contribute my own 'high score' for safely passing several behind the agricultural vehicle leading - would doubtless cause apoplexy at the DM, and here.)

Of course I never would have done anything like that at a deserted T junction. Honest officer. That empty gravel car park had those grooves in it when I drove past it without stopping, too. I remember seeing them as I drove past at 30. I mean just under 30.

Absolutely. It's a racing car with numberplates and lights. Utterly raw in its execution, and something that spoils you for all else. BMW M3? Yeah, it's a fast saloon. 911? It's a sports coupe with a choppy ride. Both are heavy though, might as well be in a Land Rover. You don't turn the wheel in a 7, you just flex your wrists. Mind you, this was with a quick rack and you don't want to try a 3 point turn in the thing.
911s have got heavier but they weren't at the outset. Never had the pleasure of driving one though.

Ok, it weighs a million tons and won’t fit on my local roads, but flipping blink...

And now I set the stopwatch for the first miserable old git that can’t see the point :)

911s have got heavier but they weren't at the outset. Never had the pleasure of driving one though.
One of the most enjoyable daily drivable cars you can buy imho. And I don’t find the ride particularly choppy, I had a 996 turbo, it was fast, very well balanced and pretty comfortable... and I felt special every time I got in it. Now my Z4m was choppy, it handled very nicely but the ride was spine shattering on pot hole riddled roads and it was noisy on motorway journeys... still loved it though.

One of the most enjoyable daily drivable cars you can buy imho. And I don’t find the ride particularly choppy, I had a 996 turbo, it was fast, very well balanced and pretty comfortable... and I felt special every time I got in it. Now my Z4m was choppy, it handled very nicely but the ride was spine shattering on pot hole riddled roads and it was noisy on motorway journeys... still loved it though.
I had a lowly 320d m sport plus, it handled well but the ride was very harsh, I had to brace myself on certain roads. The tailgate was very temperamental, really needed to slam it shut. Liked it all the same. Current 5 series is best car I've had but not a sports car, at all!

Ok, it weighs a million tons and won’t fit on my local roads, but flipping blink...

And now I set the stopwatch for the first miserable old git that can’t see the point :)
Even if I had the money etc..

I do like some 'supercars', McClaren, Porsche 911. Great piece of engineering though

I had a lowly 320d m sport plus, it handled well but the ride was very harsh, I had to brace myself on certain roads. The tailgate was very temperamental, really needed to slam it shut. Liked it all the same. Current 5 series is best car I've had but not a sports car, at all!
M sport models do have a harder ride than their SE counterparts, when you factor in the runflats, they can feel very harsh... I’ve always fitted my cars with decent non run flat tyres.

Wow, that's some impressive car. Totally pointless, but so is a speedboat or a superbike.

M sport models do have a harder ride than their SE counterparts, when you factor in the runflats, they can feel very harsh... I’ve always fitted my cars with decent non run flat tyres.
Yes, it was a combination of the wheels & tyres, low profile run flats. Current 5 series is an Msport but rides better, not harsh at all.

I hate the current trend for rubber band profile tyres on normal cars. My jag runs 45 profile, trashes the ride and does nothing for the handling on rough roads, which let's be honest is most of them these days, because there is no compliance in the tyre and it has to rely wholly on the springs and dampers.

I hate the current trend for rubber band profile tyres on normal cars. My jag runs 45 profile, trashes the ride and does nothing for the handling on rough roads, which let's be honest is most of them these days, because there is no compliance in the tyre and it has to rely wholly on the springs and dampers.
Think my 3 series ran on 35s, very harsh. Current car has 45s but still rides well probably due to longer wheelbase. I do think the trend for big wheels & tyres is daft & costly when it comes to replacing the rubber

Think my 3 series ran on 35s, very harsh. Current car has 45s but still rides well probably due to longer wheelbase. I do think the trend for big wheels & tyres is daft & costly when it comes to replacing the rubber
Some are remarkably cheap. I needed a cheap tyre for a spare rim, 225-45 x17 ZR, fitted it came in below £50. I was amazed. OK, it's a recycled Korean washing up bowl but it's only going to be a get you home spare, and £50 for a brand new tyre, fitted and balanced, is staggering. Christ, I think I got stung for £25 for a repair to a leaking rim seal last year.

Some are remarkably cheap. I needed a cheap tyre for a spare rim, 225-45 x17 ZR, fitted it came in below £50. I was amazed. OK, it's a recycled Korean washing up bowl but it's only going to be a get you home spare, and £50 for a brand new tyre, fitted and balanced, is staggering. Christ, I think I got stung for £25 for a repair to a leaking rim seal last year.
I paid £300 for two fronts & £430 for the rears, gulp. Run flat P7s

My golf runs 225-45 r17, they’re pretty inexpensive... but then 17” isn’t considered a particularly large wheel these days.

advertisement

Back