advertisement

Daily Mail - 'Shocking moment' driver overtakes some cars

tiggers

pfm Member
As a bit of a petrolhead and as if there weren't already enough reasons to hate the Daily Mail I am sick of seeing links to these type of 'stories' posted on Pistonheads and the likes:

[URL]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7402945/Subaru-driver-films-overtaking-15-vehicles-one-rural-road.html[/url]

They always have the expression 'shocking moment' in them and invariably are not at all shocking.

This one in particular is a classic. A chap overtakes 15 cars because none of those in front of him will pass a tractor doing 18mph and yet is branded a hooligan. I love how they always have to mention the horsepower of the car as if it's some barometer of danger ..... I just thought '300hp, yep the perfect tool for overtaking'.

Apparently the police have been contacted by the sanctimonious holier than thou DM for comment.... they obviously didn't like their response (which was hopefully them telling the DM to get a life) as they chose not to publish it.

I know that road quite well, it’s got really good visibility ahead, encouraging speed/overtaking like that, there’s a few speed camera signs in the area, but he doesn’t look to be going particularly fast.

This is more like it:

Overtaking multiple vehicles is always much riskier, as most sleeping f-wits further up the line just won’t be aware you’re there.
The Subaru driver had, he say, spent 15 minutes in the queue and those other drivers didn’t show any intent after all that time.

If it had been in Suffolk he’d have been dipping his internal mirror so as not to be blinded by the crusty old gits flashing their headlights at him.

As a bit of a petrolhead and as if there weren't already enough reasons to hate the Daily Mail I am sick of seeing links to these type of 'stories' posted on Pistonheads and the likes:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ms-overtaking-15-vehicles-one-rural-road.html

They always have the expression 'shocking moment' in them and invariably are not at all shocking.

This one in particular is a classic. A chap overtakes 15 cars because none of those in front of him will pass a tractor doing 18mph and yet is branded a hooligan. I love how they always have to mention the horsepower of the car as if it's some barometer of danger ..... I just thought '300hp, yep the perfect tool for overtaking'.

Apparently the police have been contacted by the sanctimonious holier than thou DM for comment.... they obviously didn't like their response (which was hopefully them telling the DM to get a life) as they chose not to publish it.
Love it- “at up to 60mph on a rural road”. A nice bit of frothing from The Curtain Twitcher’s Journal.

If someone else decides to overtake but doesn't look in their rear view mirror, there could be a nasty accident (hence the long line of cars). I'd prefer get to where i'm going a few seconds/minutes later rather than risk dying.

Edit: Tonys post got in before me.

If someone else decides to overtake but doesn't look in their rear view mirror, there could be a nasty accident (hence the long line of cars). I'd prefer get to where i'm going a few seconds/minutes later rather than risk dying.

Edit: Tonys post got in before me.

Hmmm, it's about balancing risk though isn't it? Every day we drive we assume the driver in front/behind/alongside isn't going to do something stupid and it's the risk of them doing so that defines some portion of the manoeuvres we make. The driver in the video above had been stuck behind the queue for ages hence it was a relatively safe bet that no one was going to try and overtake.

Anyway the point is it wasn't 'shocking' and doesn't warrant a DM article encouraging yet more people not to overtake. I live in the countryside and the art of overtaking is definitely being lost. I used to regularly make progress on the country roads round here, but now am often stuck in a queue with no one prepared to get on with it. If there aren't gaps and a long straight then you're stuck.

In my opinion people need to be re-educated about driving in general rather than just being delivered the message that speed kills. I have a mate who's a policemen and he was recently attending an RTA where the woman who'd caused it kept telling him it couldn't be her fault as she wasn't driving above the speed limit. This is the message that the authorities and the press are delivering to drivers and it's not helpful!

The real option of course would be to make the driving test much harder and keep the less capable off the road, but as we, as a nation, kowtow to the lowest common denominator at every turn that's never going to happen.

clearly as worthless the article is, this thread is worth less and a total waste of the internet
Like most posts on this and every other forum.
As for the point of another driver pulling out without looking, that is always a risk with every overtake. As far as I can see, he had a clear view at all times, there were gaps and his speed didn't look excessive. The idiot appears to be the driver who couldn't overtake a tractor!

I live in the countryside and the art of overtaking is definitely being lost. I used to regularly make progress on the country roads round here, but now am often stuck in a queue with no one prepared to get on with it. If there aren't gaps and a long straight then you're stuck.
In this case the road was straight and there were gaps. So nothing to see here, move along.

Current driving test is pretty thorough. Speed is the dominant factor in accidents. Most people who criticise other drivers are often not perfect themselves. I drive a fair bit with my job & as I've got older I definitely drive slower (not slow) & don't have the same level of self entitlement that a fair proportion of road users seem to have.

Slow and hesitant drivers should be taken off the roads. I am happy to drive within the speed limit but up to the speed limit if conditions permit. Bain of my life around leafy Hertfordshire.

• Why does the Daily Mail condense short articles into a series of bullet points before the article?
  • Is this for the hurried reader who struggles with 250 words?
  • Tl;dr: guy asks question about Daily Mail
Joe

@tiggers

“The real option of course would be to make the driving test much harder and keep the less capable off the road, but as we, as a nation, kowtow to the lowest common denominator at every turn that's never going to happen.”

The test is already difficult enough. However, people the forget everything, and rarely try to improve.

“I’ve been driving thirty years, there’s nothing you can teach me about it!”

advertisement

Back