advertisement

DACs- are they all getting smaller?

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
Benchmark, Lavry, Audiolab- they all seem to have shunned full width cases, presumably to take up less desk space? Shouldn't they be bigger?

Why should they be bigger than necessary? For the actual circuitry, smaller is better, and integration keeps improving, so why have lots of empty space...

Benchmark, Lavry, Audiolab- they all seem to have shunned full width cases, presumably to take up less desk space? Shouldn't they be bigger?

Why SHOULD they be bigger? Some kit is BIG, some half width and others who knows. I see posts from those who have looked that there isn't much to house inside. What they sound like is secondary?

Yes they are because at the bandwidth and sample rates we ask of audio, the job is trivial. It can all be pretty much done on one chip whereas 10 years ago it would've required a substantial circuit board.

Modern DACs also require much simpler and much less power and current handling, again it can pretty much be shrunk down to the size of a USB thumb drive.

If your DAC is bigger than a Matchbox then it better have a built-in power supply

No no' I mean a thumb

usb-thumbdrive.jpg

Anti microphony plus you can paint its nails if the music gets naff

It's not a DAC but as the kids say, fascinating.

00434199-346290_500.jpg

The keen eye will notice that this is the Spock from Spock's Brain.

Joe

After those last two posts I know I can die happy now - there is nothing *new under the sun.

*except for lesbian zombie movies should someone make one, fox's new room with a view and an electrostatic transducer listening room where all surfaces generate sound from a gazillion channels appropriately DSP steered.

Psst... come close, no closer... No no closer still. My USB valve DAC stage, I show you it yes?

yja3udag.jpg

Dave,

The Spock USB drive is a must, but I will not feel complete until I also get the Lt Cmdr Data USB drive. Obviously.

Joe

Heres the latest wireless DAC for Joe P it uses Spocks mind meld techniques to wirelessly stream music from your laptop

xvulcan-usb.jpeg.pagespeed.ic.yJdTJJJuux.jpg

advertisement

Back