advertisement

DAC tour

The ISO-DAC is packed up and will be on its way to Divedeepdog tomorrow - it should arrive by the end of the week.

The current set-up here is an HP Laptop running Fidelizer Pro & JRiver Media Player, playing WAV files and a couple of videos. A Jitterbug feeds into an Uptone Audio Regen plugged into the MDAC. MDAC (pre-amp off) feeds a Myryad Pre-, Linn Klout, OTA Quad ESL57s, Townshend Super-Tweeters and a single REL sub. Clearly, I already knew the USB signal from the laptop needed cleaning up and that the MDAC pre-amp could be improved upon.

The room is rectangular, stone walls 1/2 to 1 metre thick, beamed ceiling, marble floor, soft furnishings, curtains, books etc., two solid doors and two glazed. Not ideal but it works remarkably well. My ears are seventy, so in decline.)

First, I simply removed the MDAC, Jitterbug and Regen from the system and substituted the ISO-DAC. There was an immediate all-round improvement, detailed later.
Then I re-inserted the MDAC, feeding it via the ISO- section of the box. The result was in general more detailed than (MDAC + Jitterbug + Regen) but without the depth and presence of the ISO-DAC. Occasionally a track such as the Pretenders' 'Back On The Chain Gang' would sound unpleasantly tinny.

But the preferred option was unquestionably the ISO-DAC.

I concentrated on (mainly live) Jazz and R&B recordings because a tight, driving rhythm and crisp percussion are (to me) the most obvious (or least subtle) improvements. Also, John refers on his website to Auditory Scene Analysis, and 'where the performers are on stage', and in my room this would be far easier to judge for small groups than a full orchestra. (Symphonies were equally enjoyable, just harder to analyse!)
Playing the better-known 'test' files - 'Famous Blue Raincoat', 'Live at Blues Alley', 'Jazz At The Pawnshop', and also Richard Thompson: 'Austin City Limits', Jo Harman: 'Dirt On My Tongue', Charles Fambrough: 'Blues At Bradleys', my notes are very similar: more drive, snap, crisper, focused, presence, 'in the audience' 'foot-tapping, again'.
Interestingly, there were other tracks - by Gwyneth Herbert and John Mellencamp among others, where there wasn't just 'detail I hadn't heard before' if you'll pardon the cliche, but a faint background beat, a keyboard line or some other element which pulled the whole song together, a missing link.

I also found 'Greatest Hits' albums useful for judging background atmosphere, since they switch from different studios to live performance and back again. Against Bob Marley's 'No Woman, No Cry' I've written 'That's how keyboards sound in the open air!' (Someone will now show me up by proving that all the recording 'feeds' were direct, but until then.....) When all the elements in a song are sharply in focus you become aware of just how good some productions are. I now regret that some Status Quo has found its way onto the drive, but Bohemian Rhapsody hasn't.

I have no doubt that the ISO-DAC would be a significant upgrade in my system.

(Having ten minutes to spare, and being an inveterate fiddler, I put the Jitterbug back (in between laptop and ISO-DAC) and fancied I was hearing a more solid bass 'platform', outweighed (for want of a better word) by less life at the top. Curious, as I'd associate that effect with extra capacitance, not jitter removal)

Thanks David - great write-up, much appreciated
I try to sum up how I think this USB isolation effects our auditory perception by the phrase "
delivering not just exactly WHERE the performers are on stage
but, more importantly, WHY they are there.

I live in Sweden and listen directly from my computer with Dynaudio active speakers and SVS sub in and a very well acoustic treated room. I use a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital DAC (you can read some comments from me in that thread). I think I have a electronic-noisy PC because I prefer toslink, so I would love to hear what a galvanic isolated DAC would do to my system.

Sure Magnus - thanks for your interest.

It makes sense to keep you as the last person on the tour - that avoids a lot of shipping back & forth between countries
I will PM you for your address

Current Tour list
Divedeepdog (should receive it this week - please confirm when received)
busb
Christray (asked to be removed)
minimodo
MagnusH

I use a laptop feeding an MDAC connected to active isobariks....I fancy trying out the ISO-DAC, I could forward on and pay shipping costs as Cuinas Audio recommends.

Divedeepdog (should receive it this week - please confirm when received)
busb
minimodo
martiansunrise
timola
MagnusH

Can I suggest something to anyone who doesn't want to wait the 4, 5 or 6 weeks until audition - if you want to audition it sooner, you can order & pay for the ISO-DAC (or whichever device in the range) - return it to Ireland within 30 days & I will fully refund you - normally I would charge for my postage costs to €20 but I will refund this also.

This works out the same as participating on the tour apart from the slightly extra postal cost to Ireland. It's a small device & < 1Kg weight so not expensive to register post

For all those recent people who joined the tour & who are mainly interested in the noise reduction side to use with their existing USB DACs, there is the ISO-HUB which may be what you need to sort out your noise issues - it is a USB hub which isolates & cleanses USB signals - sitting between PC & USB DAC, it removes USB borne noise.

The ISO-DAC already incorporates this technology internally & it can also be used as an ISO-HUB with an external USB DAC, ignoring it's own internal DAC.

Is there anyone interested in auditioning the ISO-SPDIF before it's sent back to me - it's in the UK at the moment

This also has the same ISO-HUB functionality, ignoring the SPDIF output, altogether - in other words it can be used to eliminate noise between computer & a USB DAC.

What I'm suggesting is putting this akso on tour to allow people evaluate the USB isolation + USB cleaning features so someone from the existing list might want to listen to this with their own USB DAC?

Last edited:
I've got it, better read the thread, I was expecting a box to go between computer and dac, this looks like Dac in its own right?

I'll report 1st thoughts Monday .

It has two functions, ddd:
- it isolates & cleans USB signals & these are available on its USB hub ports - so you can connect your USB DAC into one of these to avail of the noise reduction
- it also uses the cleansed USB signal internally on the USB DAC circuitry to provide normal RCA outputs

(Note: The rightmost USB port is used internally so not available for connecting to other USB devices - the other 3 ports are fully functional.
(Further note: The ISO-DAC version on tour does not have 5V on its USB hub ports so any USB devices connected into these ports should be self powered & not require the 5V for signalling or power. The ISO-SPDIF I mention above has this option installed i.e 5V power on USB hub ports
)

In essence you can compare cleansed & isolated USB signals into YOUR DAC Vs without cleansed signals Vs the ISO-DAC

Hope this explains the dual functionality of the ISO-DAC & the ISO-SPDIF in the above post?

A picture is worth a thousand words - Back of ISO-DAC:
ISO_DAC_rear.jpg

Back of ISO-SPDIF:
ISO_SPDIF_rear.jpg

Last edited:
It appears my system requires a 5v supply, I use mac > Gustad U12 >Dax Decade, on the look out for 5v injector I had last time I had Ciunas to trigger Gustad into life.

Disappointed I didn't read the thread properly, Ciunas was a highlight when I last had one and thought I could improve Dax.

Would the ISO SPDIF go into DAX directly? I'll have a BNC cable issue to get over that one too :-(

Just use a USB cable between your Mac's spare USB port & the rightmost USB hub port on the ISO-DAC to inject 5V into the other USB ports

You can always audition the ISO-DAC if you can't achieve the configuration above :)

Last edited:
DDD, let me send you over an ISO-DAC with 5V output on the USB hub ports to replace the current tour DAC as this is an option at order time & others may also require this
I'll send it express, tomorrow

John, thanks. I've searched for USB A>A and of course can't find one.

Found chargers for every phone known to man though, WTF do we do with the obsolete ones?

*edit, if you have BNC> phono cable or adapter would the ISO SPDIF be more suitable?

The ISO devices come with 2 cables which should have helped you out - one with 2.1mm male end & one with 2.1mm female end - both have USB A type plugs at the end - see here
This diagram shows how to inject 5V into USB ports & then bring the 5V out to also power the charger via the front DC socket.

But maybe these cables have not travelled with the ISO-DAC?

file.png

advertisement

Back