advertisement

DAC tour

I have ISO DAC for couple of weeks now and I am impressed. I didn’t expected much, but after one track I was sure that it is better DAC than Chord Hugo 2 DAC that I had on two weeks demo at home. Of course it is my personal opinion(as all reviews are).

What I like about ISO DAC:

-excellent 3D presentation
-very very low noise floor
-truly great separation of instruments
-very balanced presentation
-fast dynamics
-hard hitting and controlled bass
-highs very neutrally presented, just about right
-very Musical presentation
-excellent timing
-even very complex music is presented with ease

What I don’t like about ISO DAC:

-no optical or coax input for my CD player
-USB3 connector = can’t use my fancy Kimber USB cable

Overall truly impressive DAC

My system: Spendor D9 speakers, Pass Labs xa25 power amp, Pass labs xp13 pre, Aurender A10 streamer, Titan audio Styx power bar and Titan audio Helios/Tyco power cables

Last edited:
I have ISO DAC for couple of weeks now and I am impressed. I didn’t expected much, but after one track I was sure that it is better DAC than Chord Hugo 2 DAC that I had on two weeks demo at home. Of course it is my personal opinion(as all reviews are).

What I like about ISO DAC:

-excellent 3D presentation
-very very low noise floor
-truly great separation of instruments
-very balanced presentation
-fast dynamics
-hard hitting and controlled bass
-highs very neutrally presented, just about right
-very Musical presentation
-even very complex music is presented with ease

What I don’t like about ISO DAC:

-no optical or coax input for my CD player
-USB 3 connector = can’t use my fancy Kimber USB cable

Overall truly impressive DAC

My system: Spendor D9 speakers, Pass Labs xa25 power amp, Pass labs xp13 pre, Aurender A10 streamer
Thanks Michal - yes that's what many perceive in the ISO-DAC

- I decided early in development to focus on doing USB audio as optimally as I can as I consider it the best sounding of the connection options you mention.

Very interesting Mentt, Would you mind describing your system?

My system: Spendor D9 speakers, Pass Labs xa25 power amp, Pass labs xp13 pre, Aurender A10 streamer, Titan audio Styx power bar and Titan audio Helios/Tyco power cables

So I’ve had the iso dac on demo for a few days, passed it onto Robby now.

For ref the system is zenith/exogal comet/Vitus RI-101/Avalon ideas, with hfc cabling

It’s a pretty competent and transparent system, tends to show up any changes quite well

The comet is a very highly rated dac that I was comparing against the iso dac. At £3k so 5 times the price of the iso

First impressions, massively low noise floor, expected this from what I’d heard and having read a bit on the batteries.

What I’m using is pretty low noise already, so adding to this really made backgrounds black, gave good space between instruments. Having made a few changes over the last year all aimed at decreasing noise and increasing levels of transparency I’m pretty used to what these steps do. The bottom end on tracks that sometimes have problems, booming, loosing control with room modes etc, this all gets better, and did so with the iso.

The bass goes very very low with the iso, tbh it’s probably just as low anyway, it’s just more apparent and clear when some of the noise disappears, and you can really hear it better

Vocals I love on the avalons, they’re brilliant with them, one of the strongest points of these speakers. Close mike’d recordings are really holographic when the backgrounds are so clear, still do with the comet back in too, but in a slightly different way, maybe a touch more forward on the comet

Overall, I could have swapped the comet for the iso, and lived with it being battery powered, and having to turn it off and on, instead of being able to be lazy and currently don’t need to move to change anything! But I just find the comet a tad more engaging or dynamic in some way, hard to put my finger on why, but I had 2 other people listen to both while I had them in and both had a similar impression.

If I didn’t have a seriously good dac already though this would def be on a short list of ones to try/buy, regardless of price - and for me beating a fair few more expensive dacs I’ve heard. Others like the Hugo 1 have a very good rep and with reason, for me the iso beats it, haven’t heard better for anywhere close to the price

Thanks Paul for posting your impressions - good write-up
Just a couple of comments:
- I think I told you, if not, I should have - if your 5V charger PS is > 2Amp (safer 3Amp) then you can leave it turned on at all times - no need to turn off
- In the new year, I'm launching a new version of the ISO-DAC powered by Supercapacitors.

This actually changes the sound - all the good aspects are still there but the sound is less laid back, maybe detail is perceived to be faster? - this may well compete directly with your Comet?

A new ISO-DAC, that's exciting news.:D

Please put me down for a demo unit. Will there be an upgrade path?

Any chance of including a preamplifier (with IR volume comptroller).

A new ISO-DAC, that's exciting news.:D

Please put me down for a demo unit. Will there be an upgrade path?
:D
Sure, I'll probably do a tour in the new year along with a separate supercapacitor PS
You know there's already a 20% discount for existing customers?
Don't really want to get into returning of units for modifications

Any chance of including a preamplifier (with IR volume comptroller).
No, sorry.

Thanks Paul for posting your impressions - good write-up
Just a couple of comments:
- I think I told you, if not, I should have - if your 5V charger PS is > 2Amp (safer 3Amp) then you can leave it turned on at all times - no need to turn off
- In the new year, I'm launching a new version of the ISO-DAC powered by Supercapacitors.

This actually changes the sound - all the good aspects are still there but the sound is less laid back, maybe detail is perceived to be faster? - this may well compete directly with your Comet?

May have been crossed wires then John, I left the charger on as I thought you had said, but switched the dac off when not in use, thought this is what you meant as the charger may have been a bit under powered, so kept it topped up better. If with a proper psu it can be left on 24/7 great

Def interested in getting a demo in new year then with upgraded ps

Feedback would be on another tour of the new version to send out a suitable ps with it too, as neither myself or Robby who I passed it onto had something lying around that knew would def be right, and not have grounding issues either from using the phone charger.

May have been crossed wires then John, I left the charger on as I thought you had said, but switched the dac off when not in use, thought this is what you meant as the charger may have been a bit under powered, so kept it topped up better. If with a proper psu it can be left on 24/7 great
Yea, I suggested there were two possible causes for the slight clicking - lowish battery or ground loop. Looking back on the PMs we had I think you tried running it off charge for a while to eliminate ground loops & I guess it didn't as I didn't hear back from you on this test?
quote]Def interested in getting a demo in new year then with upgraded ps

Feedback would be on another tour of the new version to send out a suitable ps with it too, as neither myself or Robby who I passed it onto had something lying around that knew would def be right, and not have grounding issues either from using the phone charger.[/QUOTE]Yea, I'll be sourcing some suitable charger PSee

Will it still be USB only?
Yep, USB input only

And me too please John. Very interested in the Supercap version if it keeps the great properties of the Battery version + a little 'je ne sais quoi' + no power on/off issues.

Thanks
Sam

Yea, I suggested there were two possible causes for the slight clicking - lowish battery or ground loop. Looking back on the PMs we had I think you tried running it off charge for a while to eliminate ground loops & I guess it didn't as I didn't hear back from you on this test?

Yes so after charging for a day or so still had it, assume it was a grounding thing then. When I unplugged and used it the last night I had it, I didn’t notice anything unusual over the hour I had to listen before packing away, so assume with the right charger should all work well

:D
Sure, I'll probably do a tour in the new year along with a separate supercapacitor PS
You know there's already a 20% discount for existing customers?
Don't really want to get into returning of units for modifications

No, sorry.

I understand and 20% sounds great.

advertisement

Back