Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] DAC sub £500

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by badlyread, Jan 23, 2021.

1. badlyread

badlyread pfm Member

Hi Guys

I have an Aries Mini which is excellent (SSD fitted internally) but I have been wondering what an external DAC might add to the setup (if anything - I have a LPS connected). I stupidly missed out on a TEAC UD-501 and wonder what else is out there.

Inputs can TOSlink, Co-ax and usb.

What have you got that you want to move on and any recommendations (the market is huge).

Thank you.

2. badlyread

badlyread pfm Member

Maybe interested in a Chord Qutest if the price is right.....

3. AGUYCALLEDSIMON

AGUYCALLEDSIMON pfm Member

Hi - posted an interest check earlier about my 2-box Metrum 0ctave - funnily enough, I have replaced it with a Chord Qutest, but only to have USB connectivity, not because of the sound - I do think the Chord is better, but the Metrum is also very good, and I can see some people preferring it in bright systems

If there is interest, I am probably looking at under £400, so it fits your budget?

4. badlyread

badlyread pfm Member

Been doing a lot of reading this morning and I think I want to try a Qutest.

Thanks for the reply.

5. AGUYCALLEDSIMON

AGUYCALLEDSIMON pfm Member

I think its a solid choice and I like mine - its more than double your sub-£500 value, though, and there are quite a few contenders in the 500-£1200 range, so best to try a few if you are able - not easy during lockdown, I know :-(

head-fi have a massive 357 page thread on the qutest - gave me something to read during isolation.....also has input from the designer, Rob Watts

6. Millennium

Millennium pfm Member

I have a spare Teac UD-H01 if you were still looking for a Teac device? Seems you made up your mind, it's doing nothing here though.

7. eastone

eastone pfm Member

There’s a Metrum Musette on eBay (not mine) that’s in budget. Different approach to the Qutest, but I preferred it by far.

8. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Or if you don’t need USB try a Metrum FLINT, these can be upgraded with the latest FPGA chips.

9. badlyread

badlyread pfm Member

Thank you for the suggestions and more reading but I think I’ve decided on the Qutest.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Millennium and eastone like this.