advertisement

dac preamp streamer suggestions sought..

tommyt

pfm Member
Hi!

My setup currently consists of the following.

sources dac pre amp speakers
--------- ---------- ------------ --------------------
TV toslink ->
CHROMECAST-> spdif ->
LAPTOP(roon)-> Singxer USB->SPDIF->XLR DAC202 -> Nord NC500 -> Shahinian Hawks

It sounds good but I have 2 problems:

1) Unfortunately the DAC202 toslink input from TV is a bit flakey and I get dropouts. I think the TV clock output is too variable for the DAC202.

2) The laptop has died and I cancelled Roon so only able to stream via my Chromecast at the moment.

So, I wonder what to do..

Options
a) Get a pre amp with balanced outputs and plug the dac202 into one channel, send the TV via another less fussy DAC (I have one I could use) and get a dedicated streamer of some sort to go into the dac202.

b) Get a one box PreAmp/Dac/Streamer box to replace the Dac202 (it would need toslink input from TV)

Regarding streamer, I like using the chrome-cast because it allows me to use native apps and so ideally something that offers a higher quality chrome-cast experience would be best. Spotify connect would be great too. I don't really have a collection of downloads, I just stream from services like Spotify/Tidal etc.

Ideally not looking to spend more than £500-800..

Thoughts, opinions, recommendations?

Is it a Weiss Dac202, if it is, you could try, if you haven’t already, making the TV (optical) the clock source?
Keith

Hi Keith,
Yes, it is a Weiss Dac202 and good tip but I do already have the TV set as clock source. It it reduces the problem but doesn't eliminate it.
Thanks, Tom

Any one got experience of the Cambridge Audio CXN. I noticed it has spotify/chromecast and balanced outputs so it could replace the DAC202 and Chromecast, allow me to plugin my TV and connect direct to my Nords.

Maybe this is a weird question but if the TV was connected to the CXN (toslink) and then the CXN into the DAC202 via coax spdif, would the sloppy toslink signal from TV get "corrected"?

What else has Chromecast "Built in"?

A bit over your price range, but the Audiolab 8300cdq has many inputs. I use a 8200cdq with inputs from computer, tv, cd, dvd. .Reputation not that good acording to some, but mine now 5/6 years old and fine. Perhaps try used or Mdac

My budget isn't super fixed and if the Dac202 is replaced (would need decent pre amp with balanced outputs - so the 8300cdq could work) I'd also have the money from that to spend... whatever that is likely to be.. maybe another £1.5-2k.

The CD could be useful. At the moment we use our DVD player for CDs but that's pretty infrequent.

Mostly, the Hifi is used for Tidal/Chromecast (me) Spotify/Connect (wife) and TV/movies.

A mid to high-end dac/pre with built-in chromecast spotify/connect would be ideal.

Hm yeah the RMA ADI could work as a drop in replacement for the Weiss202, I would just have to check/hope that the TC into the Optical worked better than with the Weiss.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good balanced PRE amp? That way, I could continue using the Weiss202 for primary sound sources and have a cheaper but more compatible DAC for the TV out. Anyone familiar with the Nord One Pre?

Also what's the consensus on importance of using a balanced Pre amp with balanced power amps such as the Nord Amps that I have?

Best, Tom

I had a similar issue with a Samsung TV dropping out into my Weiss DAC202.
Replaced the TV with a Sony one and no drop out issues.

I just recently replaced my Sonos + Audio Synthesis Dax Decade streaming/dac/pre combo with a Novafidelity X45. I've had the previous combo for about 10 years and the Audio Synthesis plus my power amps saw off a Devialet 250.
The X45 sounded better.
The added bonus is the additional functionality it provides.
  • Inbuilt streamer with Spotify, Tidal and Amazon with Amazon HD in the pipeline.
  • Onboard storage if required, I added a 2TB SSD.
  • Single ended and balanced pre outs.
  • CD player and ripper.
  • MM phono stage.
  • Roon enabled.
  • 7" display screen (can be turned off)
I replaced a streamer, dac/pre, cd player and external NAS box with the X45.
I had it for a week home demo before purchase and have to say I'm very happy with it.

That x45 definitely looks interesting! Gonna investigate more - thanks for the tip! Does it have spotify connect.

The rme could work too. It actually has analog inputs as well which could be useful. Remote looks a bit rubbish though. I do like rme though. I already have 3 of their audio interfaces in my studio.

That x45 definitely ticks a lot of boxes.

I see it has an analog in too, does it convert the analog in to digital?

Wonder how the x45 sounds compared with my dac202. They both share dual ess9018 dacs albeit the x45 with newer ones. Although it seems like the dac itself seems to have little revelance with the oppo having the newer 9038 pro and poor reviews.

If I sold the dac202 that would put the x45 in reach within my budget.

Where did you buy the x45 so you could get the home demo?

Out of interest and maybe a stupid questing if I had something like the x45 receiving optical toslink from my jittery tv that worked ok and then put the dac202 in front of it, would the x45 just pass the jittery signal through? Or could it be used to tidy it up?

What else is similar to x45 to compare with. I looked at auralic altair but it seems a lot more limited.

I bought the Novafidelity X45 from Tony at Coherent Systems : https://www.coherent-systems.co.uk
I see that they advertise in the trade sales section on this forum.

The X45 has Spotify Connect. I use the Spotify app on my phone and it sees the X45 as another available device, the same as any of my Sonos speakers.

The link to the X45 spec sheet is : https://www.scvdistribution.co.uk/files/NO_X45_Spec_Sheet.pdf
And the link to the X45 manual is : http://www.cocktailaudio.com/home/data/manual/X45_User_manual_English_ver1.2.pdf

The X45 has both an analogue line in and mm phono in. I believe it must digitise these signals, since the manual goes on to mention recording rates and the ability to output either digitally or via analog.

The remote is fine, probably too many buttons. However, they also have a mobile phone app which I think is very good. Certainly light years ahead of the mobile app of the Devialet.

It's easy to dismiss this as a jack of all trades master of none. The sheer functionality it offers, with the ability to playback hires material of almost any format, makes you think they can't have spent much money/time on the sound quality.
My personal experience : it took a lot for me to switch from the AS Dax Decade (which in turn was better than the Devialet - to me). The X45 simply sounded better to me.

Lessons learnt from the Devialet experience? Get a home demo and trust your own ears and judgement.
Forget the reviews. You are the person the system has to perform for and to please. Only your opinion counts.

What else is similar to x45 to compare with. I looked at auralic altair but it seems a lot more limited.

The Auralic Altair G1 is great and it has most of the features on your list. They kept all the best features from the original Altair, tweaked a few things based on learning from the earlier G2 and G1 series products and packed everything into the beautiful G1 casework.

You might also like to consider this one, which landed at Strictly Manor yesterday...

elementx.jpg

This is the Matrix Audio Element X. It is streamer, DAC, preamplifier and headphone amplifier with a useful mix of inputs and outputs. It supports very high rate DSD and PCM, MQA, TIDAL, Qobuz and Roon. Until a couple of months ago, it was the best performing DAC ever tested by Audio Science Review. It has now been bumped down to second place by another Matrix Audio DAC, the non-streaming X-Sabre Pro. It costs £2,800 which would seem to be within reach if understood your posts correctly. There is also a step down Element M model available at £1,700. You can read the full review here...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...matrix-audio-element-x-dac-streamer-amp.7782/

Incidentally, the Element X uses the same chip found in the Nova Fidelity X45 Pro (the £5k one).

advertisement

Back