Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Dac needed that will fit 200Wx70Hx240D (mm)

Discussion in 'audio' started by molee, Sep 16, 2020.

1. molee

molee pfm Member

Hi all, some people buy their dacs based on sound quality, some on features and some apply an equation that also factors in price, aesthetics and a few other things.
    I need a dac that will fit within the dimensions shown in the title. I will be rooting round the net to work something out but if anyone could have a measure up and let me know if theirs fits the bill (with a comment on what they think of it) then I would be hugely, if not eternally, grateful.
    Digital music isn't really a priority (I'm 80/20 vinyl/cd atm) so making do with a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic. Something that vaguely improves on that would be quite adequate.

2. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

RME ADI-2 or SMSL M500 would be my two options but the later might be just a bit too high.
    Both are sounding very good.

Subito likes this.
  3. molee

molee pfm Member

Thank you Gervais, I'll have a look. I should add that it would be going into an enclosure (to block out the blue lights etc) so shouldn't have a volume knob protruding. A headphone socket would be OK though>

4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

What's the CD player? Can you connect into its DAC?

5. molee

molee pfm Member

Rega Planet. No, that would be dead handy.

6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Maybe put the DAC funds towards a player with a decent DAC and connectivity?

7. simon g

simon g Older, wiser & retired

8. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

The RME is 215mm wide so too big, also, a lot of DAC for occasional use. I would be looking at a Topping E30.
    TS

Salamander likes this.
  9. molee

molee pfm Member

Yeah, makes sense but I am happy enough with the Planet. Would only go with a Saturn R but that would be a bit much. I made up a pair of enclosures with some lovely flame walnut veneer-one houses the phono stage (thus blocking the red light), it would be wrong not to use the other.

10. Subito

Subito Member

Schiit Modi 3: it’s 5 inches wide x 3.5 inches deep x 1.25 inches wide, or 127mm x 89mm x 32mm.