advertisement

DAC needed...bang for buck

I've tried lots of DACs over the years. I now have two topping e30s. I'd strongly advise that you get one and see if you can live with it. I now have two and no plans to remove or change them.

The only problem is the single toslink input. An extra one would make it just that little bit more useful

More acquaintance than friend, as he was generous with the loan I didn't question his condition.
I can only assume he took some time to reach the setting he liked most.

(HiFi shops here? :D )
Yes, must have been, I though that after I’d posted earlier, I know there’s lots of adjustment and could imagine it’d take a fair amount of time if you adjust each of the bands to perfection.
(Aaah, I see you’re in Thailand :)! My mate is there at the moment)

All the best.

Well deepest joy!

The remaining two components I was previously unable to find were finally located.
A little bit of soldering later and the old DAC is back in business, crikey it's damn good too!

20220627-164648.jpg

The optical and coaxial is handled by a heavily modified Silicon Chip design ( project from another forum, many moons ago ). The USB is handled by a modified Amanero with galvanic isolation board, feeding a Curryman board. Everything has extensive attention to the various power supplies. All chucked into the same box, the chicken head switch selects between USB input and SPDIF.

The only cock-up is I assumed my Sony M-ZR55 had optical out, it doesn't :eek: , only in. The last time I had everything connected at the same time, I was using a proper Sony MD deck, no longer in my possession.

Now on the hunt for a reasonable portable MD(R if possible) with optical out...

The D70S ticks a lot of boxes for me as it has balanced outputs and can take a full-sized power cord. With the Chord, only the DAVE has these features but it costs more than 10x the Topping.
I have the D70S which replaced a D70 previously. I find it difficult to fault for the money I paid. Hoping to try out the balanced output soon and using it as a pre too ...

advertisement

Back